1 Thuyloi University
2 Hanoi University of Mining and Geology
Water is one of the most essential natural resources . A good assessment of both surface and groundwater always leads to an effective and sustainable water resources management. In Vietnam, the management of water resources has mainly focused on surface water, however, the problems related to groundwater have not been managed properly. This study aims to assess surface and groundwater availability in Dong Nai river basin by integrating SWAT and MODFLOW models. These models run individually and integrated through the recharge rates. The simulation results were then compared and showed good agreement with observed data. The results showed Tuyen Lam, Da Huoai and Dak Song districts are the locations which have high surface water availability, in the range of 40 50 l/s/km2. The groundwater simulation indicated the areas having high groundwater availability are located at the same places with the regions having high surface water. Dak Song is the region having the highest groundwater availability with around 9 l/s/km2.
Cite this paper
Do Xuan Khanh, Nguyen Bach Thao (2018), Integration of Swat and Modflow Model to Assess the Surface and Groundwater Availability: A Case Study of Dong Nai Basin in 2015 – 2016. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, 01, 35-42.
1. Anh. T.N., Hoang, N.T., Son, N.T., Giang, N.T., 2009. Khả năng áp dụng mô hình MODFLOW tính toán và dự báo trữ lượng nước dưới đất miền đồng bằng tỉnh Quảng Trị. Tạp chí khoa học DHQG. 25(3): 372-380.
2. Au, N.T.T., Liem, N.D., Loi, N.K., 2013. Applying GIS technique and SWAT model to assessing water discharge in Dakbla watershed. Journal of National University, 29(3): 1-13.
3. Arnold, J.G., Srinivasan, R., Muttiah, R.S., William, J.R., 1998. Large area hydrologic modeler and assessment part I: model development. J. Am. Water Resources. As. 34: 73-89.
4. Chau, T.K. and Khanh, D.X., 2017. Study on water balance in Sesan river basin in drought year 2015/2016. Journal of Meteorological, 678: 44-53.
5. Chiang, W.H., Kinzelbach, W., 1998. Processing mudflow: a simulation system for modeling groundwater flow and pollution. Humburg, Zurich, p. 325.
6. Dowlatabadi, S., Zomorodian, S.M.A., 2015. Conjunctive simulation of surface water and groundwater using SWAT and MODFLOW in Firoozabad watershed. KSCE, 1-12.
7. Fadil, A., Rhinane, H., Kaoukaya, A. Kharchaf, Y., Bachir, A., 2011. Hydrologic modeling of the Bouregreg watershed (Morocco) using GIS and SWAT model, 3: 279-289.
8. Hiep, H. V., Ty, T. V. (2012). Đánh giá tài nguyên nước dưới đất tỉnh Trà Vinh sử dụng mô hình MODFLOW. Tạp chí khoa học DH Cần Thơ, 23: 42-51.
9. Kim, N.W., Chung, I.M., Won, Y.S., Arnold, J.G., 2008. Development and application of the integrated SWAT-MODFLOW model. Journal of Hydrology, 356: 1-16.
10. Moriasi, D.N., Arnold, J.G., Liew, V., Bingner, R.L., Harmel, R.D., Veith, T.L., 2007. Model evaluation guidelines for systematic quantification of accuracy in watershed in simulations. Trans. ASBE, 50(3): 885-99.
11. Neitsch, S.L., Arnold, J.G., Kiniry, J.R., William, J.R., 2011. Soil and water assessment toll theoretical documentation version 2009. Texas water resources institute technical report No. 406. College station, Texas.
12. Putthividhya, A., Laonamsai, J., 2017. SWAT and MODFLOW modelling of spatialtemporal runoff and groundwater recharge distribution, World environmental and water resources congress, 51- 65.
13. Quan, N.H. and Thang, M.T., 2014. Application of swat model in assessment water resources of upper stream of Thinai lagoon serving sustainable development of Binhdinh province, Journal of Science and Technology, 17(14): 109- 118.
14. Quynh, T.T.N., Tien, N.D., 2014. Đánh giá trữ lượng khai thác tiềm năng các tầng chứa nước dưới đất tại thành phố Tam Kỳ, tỉnh Quảng Nam bằng phần mềm Vísual Modflow. Tạp chí khoa học và công nghệ, trường DH Huế, 1: 110- 122.
15. Winter, T.C., Harvey, J.W., Franke, O.L. and Alley, W.M., 1998. Groundwater and surface water a single resources. U. S. Geological survey circular 1139, Denver Colorado 79.