1 Nong Lam University of Ho Chi Minh City - Gia Lai campus, Vietnam
2 Viet Nam Meteorological and Hydrometeorological Administration, Ha Noi, Vietnam
*Corresponding author: email@example.com
Urban sprawl is an international phenomenon happening principally in quickly developing areas. A study on the spatiotemporal features of urban sprawl is useful for the sustainable land management, landscape and urban land planning. The present research explores the trends, types and changes of landscape of urban sprawl in the context of a rapid urbanization process in Pleiku city and in the Central Highland of Viet Nam from 2000 to 2019. The results show the expansion of the Pleiku city has witnessed a fluctuation in its land uses through two decades. The rate of land use in residential areas has been increasing by 0.22 percent, infrastructures (0.61 percent), and other land (0.41 percent). This assertion is further supported by the rapid reduction of the vacant land (1.14 percent) and agriculture land (0.21%). Moreover, three types of urban sprawl are distinguished by analyzing covered urban area maps from the analysis of Satellite data images and current land use maps. Firstly, it is the outlying type with the area of 3.97 km2, almost 62.72 percent of the total newly increased urban area. Secondly, the area of the infilling type is 1.11 km2, which makes up 17.54 percent, and the figure for the edge-expansion area is 1.25 km2, accounting for 19.75% of the total urban sprawl area. Studying trends and types of urban sprawl are useful to manage and properly allocate for sustainable land resource as well as urban land use planning.
Cite this paper
Nguyen Ninh Hai, Nguyen Tuan Anh, Tran Nguyen Lam Khuong, Bach Quang-Dung, Nguyen Minh Ky (2019), Research on Urban Sprawl Trends and Landscape Change in Pleiku City, Gia Lai Province. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, 2-1, 37-47.
1. Anderson, H., 2001. Development at the Urban Fringe and Beyond: Impacts on Agriculture and Rural Land. ERS Agricultural Economic Report (No. 1473-2016-120733).
2. Basudeb, B., 2010. Analysis of Urban Growth and Sprawl from Remote Sensing Data. Springer Publishing Company, Incorporated.
3. Burchell, R.W., Shad, N.A., Listokin, D., Phillips, H., Downs, A., Seskin, S., Davis, J.S., Moore, T., Helton, D., Gall, M., 1998. The Costs of Sprawl--Revisited. Transit Cooperative Research Program (TCRP) Report 39, Transportation Research Board, Washington.
4. Duong, H.N., Christopher, A.L., Tomoaki, M., Jefferson, M.F., 2018. Quantifying urban growth patterns in Hanoi using landscape expansion modes and time series spatial metrics. PLoS ONE, 13 (5): e0196940.
5. Ellman, T., 1997. Infill: The Cure for Sprawl? Arizona Issue Analysis, 146: 21.
6. Edwin, S.M., Bruce, W.H., 1990. Urban Economics. Land Economics, 66: 224-226.
7. Ewing, R., 1997. Is Los Angeles-Style Sprawl Desirable?. J. Am. Plann. Assoc., 63 (1): 107-126.
8. Gia Lai Government, 2005. Master plan on urban development of Pleiku until 2020. Gia Lai.
9. Gia Lai Government, 2018. Adjustment report on construction master plan of Pleiku city to 2030, vision to 2050. Gia Lai.
10. Ha Dao, 2019. Three development trends of Vietnam urban, Construction Newspaper, accessed on 15th Oct 2019 .
11. Hadly, C.C., 2000. Urban Sprawl: Indicators, Causes, and Solutions. Doc. Prep. Bloomingt. Environ. Comm.
12. Hoang, B.T., 2014. Developing the Central Highlands Urban System in Vietnam. Journal of Vietnam Social Science, 5 (78): 49-59.
13. Katherine, V.M.F., 2010. Internal migration - Opportunities and challenges for socioeconomic development in Vietnam. The United Nations Development Program in Viet Nam, Hanoi.
14. Karen, C.S., Michail, F., 2005. Quantifying Spatiotemporal Patterns of Urban Land-use Change in Four Cities of China with Time Series Landscape Metrics. Landscape Ecology, 20 (7): 871-888.
15. Lv, Z.Q., Dai, F.Q., Sun, C., 2011. Evaluation of urban sprawl and urban landscape pattern in a rapidly developing region. Environ Monit Assess., 184 (10): 6437-48.
16. Maier, G., Franz, G., Schrock, P., 2006. Urban sprawl. How useful is this concept?. Proceedings of ERSA conference papers (No. ersa06p105). European Regional Science Association.
17. Nick, G., Marco, B., Johan, A., 2006. Planning on the edge: England’s rural - Urban fringe and the spatial-planning agenda. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 33 (3): 457-476.
18. Nguyen, V.H., 2017. Solutions to develop cities in Vietnam toward the sustainable way. Journal of Industry and Trade, 4: 5.
19. Pham, M.H., Yasushi, Y., 2008. Characterizing the urban growth of Hanoi, Nagoya, and Shanghai City using remote sensing and spatial metrics. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Nagoya University, Japan, 5: 5-9.
20. Pleiku Statistics Office, 2019. Statistical Yearbook of Pleiku city 2018, Gia Lai.
21. Pleiku Department of Natural Resources and Environment, 2019. Map of land use status of Pleiku city in 2019, Gia Lai.
22. Real Estate Research Corporation, 1974. The Costs of Sprawl, Detailed Cost Analysis. U.S. Government Printing Office.
23. Richard, B.P., 1989. Density and Urban Sprawl. Land Economics, 65 (3): 193-204.
24. Richard, T.T.F., 1995. Land mosaics: The ecology of landscapes and regions. Cambridge University Press.
25. Robert, W.W., 2002. Fiscalisation of Land Use, Urban Growth Boundaries and Noncentral Retail Sprawl in the Western United States. Sage Publ. Ltd, 39 (8): 1307-1327.
26. Robert, O.H., Clark, W.A.V., 1965. The Nature and Economics of Urban Sprawl. Land Economics, 41: 1-9.
27. Roberto, C., Maria, C.G., Paolo, R., 2002. Urban mobility and urban form: The social and environmental costs of different patterns of urban expansion. Ecol. Econ., 40 (2): 199-216.
28. The National Assembly, 2013. Vietnam Land Law 2013 - Law No. 45/2013/QH13, Hanoi.
29. Tran, X.Q., 2019. The target of Pleiku City towards to the Type I, Gia Lai Online, acessed on 14th Oct 2019 < h t t p s : / / b a o g i a l a i . c o m . v n / c h a n - nel/9044/201902/pleiku-huong-den-muc-tieudo-thi-loai-i-5619509/index.htm>.
30. Wilson, E.H., James, D.H., Daniel, L.C., Michael, P.P., Chester, A., 2003. Development of a Geospatial Model to Quantify, Describe and Map Urban Growth. Remote Sens. Environ., 86(3): 275-285.
31. World Bank, 2011. Evaluation of urbanization in Vietnam. WB, Washington, D.C., United States.