1Nong Lam University of Ho Chi Minh City – Gia Lai campus, Vietnam
2Viet Nam Meteorological and Hydrometeorological Administration, Ha Noi, Vietnam
Ensuring adequate and safe water supply is a top priority in human life, especially cities or residential areas. Accessibility and safety in water supply services requires good operation in the components of domestic water supply systems including water sources, water treatment plants, and distribution network systems. This means that the cooperation and coordination of stakeholders (SH) should be good to help maintain the stable system. Therefore, it is necessary to analyse stakeholder involvement, indicating their responsibilities and roles in maintaining the system. The most appropriate level of involvement is presented to clasify the roles of each stakeholder when operating the system. Analyzing the stakeholders are based on two attributes of interest-power matrix, and then classifiying three most appropriate level of involvement including co-working, co-thinking, co-knowing.
Cite this paper
Nguyen Tuan Anh, Nguyen Ninh Hai, Tran Thi Thao Trang , Bach Quang-Dung, Nguyen Minh Ky (2019), Analyzing Stakeholder Involvement in Urban Domestic Water Supply System - Case Study in Central Highland of Vietnam. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, 2-1, 56-65.
1. Aggens, L., Creighton, J.L., Dunning, C.M., 1995. Identifying different levels of public interest in participation, Public involvement techniques: a reader of ten years experience at the institute for water resources. IWR Research Report 82-R-1.
2. Anh, N.T., Hai, N.N.,Ky, N.M., 2019. Risk assessment and management in domestic water supply system in Pleiku city - Gialai province. Journal of Science and Technology, Danang University, 17 (6): 50-55.
3. Bartram, J., Davison, A., Howard, G., Stevens, M., Callan, P., Fewtrell, L., Deere, D., 2005. Water safety plans: Managing drinkingwater quality from catchment to consumer.WHO, Geneva.
4. Bourne, L., Walker, D.H.T., 2005. Visualising and Mapping Stakeholder Influence. Management Decision, 43 (5): 649-660.
5. Caputo, A., 2013. Systemic Stakeholders’ Management for Real Estate Development Projects. Global Business and Management Research, 5 (1): 66-82.
6. Chandraprabha, J.F.H., 2019. Urban water truck: sustainable urban logistics.Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden.
7. Conallin, J.C., Dickens, C., Hearne, D., Allan, C., 2017. Stakeholder Engagement in Environmental Water Management. Academic Press, USA.
8. Department for International Development (DFID), 2003. Tools for development: A handbook for those engaged indevelopment activity. London, United Kingdom.
9. Driscoll, C., Starik, M., 2004. The primordial stakeholder: Advancing the conceptual consideration of stakeholder status for the natural environment. Journal of Business Ethics, 49 (1): 55-73.
10. Enserink, B., Kwakkel, J., Bots, P., Hermans, L., Thissen, W., Koppenjan, J., 2010. Policy analysis of multi-actor systems. Eleven International Publishing.
11. Freeman, R.E., 1984. Strategic Management: A Stakeholder Approach. Cambridge University Press.
12. Gialai water company, 2018. Yearly financial report. Gialai.
13. Gibson, K., 2000. The Moral Basis of Stakholder Theory. Journal of Business Ethics, 26 (3): 245-257.
14. Grimble, R., Wellard, K., 1997. Stakeholder methodologies in natural resource management: A review of principles, contexts, experiences and opportunities. Agricultural Systems, 55 (2): 173-193.
15. Likert, R., 1932. A technique for the measurement of attitudes.Archives of Psychology, 140: 5-55.
16. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), 2014. Vietnam state of Environmental reports. Hanoi.
17. Reed, M.S., Graves, A., Dandy, N., Posthumus, H., Hubacek, K., Morris, J., Prell, C., Quinn, C.H., Stringer, L.C., 2009. Who’s in and why? A typology of stakeholder analysis methods for natural resource management. Journal of Environmental Management, 90 (5): 1933-1949.
18. Romanelli, A., Massone, H.E., Escalante, A.H., 2011. Stakeholder Analysis and SocialBiophysical Interdependencies for Common Pool Resource Management: La Brava Wetland (Argentina) as a Case Study. Environmental Management, 48 (3): 462-474.
19. Stanghellini, P.S.L., Collentine, D., 2008. Stakeholder discourse and water management - implementation of the participatory model CATCH in a Northern Italian alpine sub-catchment. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 12 (1): 317-331.
20. Stanghellini, P.S.L., 2010. Stakeholder involvement in water management: The role of the stakeholder analysis within participatory processes. Water Policy, 12 (5): 675-694.
21. Suchman, M.C., 1995. Managing Legitimacy: Strategic and Institutional Approaches. The Academy of Management Review, 20 (3): 571-610.
22. Varvasovszky, Z., 2000. A stakeholder analysis. Health Policy and Planning, 15 (3), 338-345.
23. Wang, J., Ge, J., Lu, Q., 2013. Stakeholder involvement in the drinking water supply system: A case study of stakeholder analysis in China. Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology-Aqua, 62 (8): 507-514.
24. World Health Organization (WHO), 2005. Water safety plan: Managing drinkingwater quality from catchment to consumer. WHO, Geneva.
25. World Health Organization (WHO) and International Water Association (IWA), 2009. Water safety plan manual: Step-by-step risk management for drinking-water suppliers. WHO, Geneva
26. World Health Organization (WHO), 2011. Guidelines for drinking-water quality (4th Ed). WHO, Geneva.
27. World Health Organization (WHO), 2014. Preventing diarrhoea through better water, sanitaiton and hygiene: Exposures and impacts in low- and middle-income countries.WHO, Geneva
28. Yang, L.E., Chan, F.K.S., Scheffran, J., 2018. Climate change, water management and stakeholder analysis in the Dongjiang River basin in South China. International Journal of Water Resources Development, 34 (2): 166-191.
29. Xue, L., 2018. For the balance of stakeholders’ power and responsibility. Management Decision, 56 (3): 550-569.
30. Yawson, R.M., Greiman, B., 2014. Stakeholder Analysis as a Tool for Systems Approach Research in HRD. Proceedings of the 21st Annual AHRD International Research Conference in the Americas. Texas, USA.