1National Center for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting
WMO mission to Hanoi in February 2011 determined that the NCHMF appeared to have an excellent development potential to undertake the role of the Regional Forecasting Support Centre (RFSC) in the Severe Weather Forecasting Demonstration Project for Southeast Asia project. To provide better product for developing the guidances for SWFDP-SeA, based on new capacities of High Performance Computing (HPC) of VNMHA, this paper presents new high-resolution numerical weather prediction products including very high-resolution deterministic products (WRF3kmIFS) and high-resolution regional ensemble systems (SREPS-32). WRF3kmIFS is configed by using the recently released version of Weather Research and Forecasting model with ARW dynamical core - WRF-ARW (version 184.108.40.206) with IFS (ECMWF) for boudary conditions while SREPS-32 is a set of combination of physical parameterizations. Some improved performances are shown relating to heavy rainfall and tropical cyclone over Southeast Asian domain and for the South East Asia Flash Flood Guidance Systems.
Cite this paper
Mai Van Khiem, Du Duc Tien, Luong Thi Thanh Huyen (2019), Improving the quality of severe weather warning with highresolution numerical weather prediction products for the WMO-severeweather forecasting demonstration project in Southeast Asia. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, 3, 39-47.
1. Manual on the GDPFS 2010. Vol. 1 - Global Aspects, WMO-485, updated 2010 http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/DPFS/Ma nual_GDPFS.html
2. SWFDP-SEA web portal: http://www.swfdp-sea.com.vn (username swfdp-sea password RA2)
3. Skamarock, W., Klemp, J., Dudhia, J., Gill, D., Barker, D., Wang, W., Powers, J.A., 2008. Description of the advanced research WRF version 3. NCAR Technical Note 475, pp. 113.
4. Tien, D.D., Cuong, H.D., Hole, L.R., Lam, H., Huyen, L.T.T., Hung, M.K., 2019. Impacts of Different Physical Parameterization Configurations on Widespread Heavy Rain Forecast over the Northern Area of Vietnam in WRF-ARW Model. Advances in Meteorology, 1010858, pp. 24, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/1010858.
5. SWFDP Overall Project Plan, updated 2010.http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/DP FS/Meetings/SG-SWFDP_Geneva2010/documents/SWFDP_OverallPP_Updated_8jun2008.pdf
6. SWFDP Guidebook on Planning Regional Subprojects, updated 2010. http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/DPFS/M eetings/SGSWFDP_Geneva2010/documents/S WFDP_Guidebook_Updated_24sept2008.pdf
7. Severe Weather Forecasting Demonstration Project - Southeast Asia (SWFDP-SeA) 2011. Report of WMO mission to Hanoi, Viet Nam, 15-16 February 2011.
8. Annual Report on the activities of Regional Forecasting Support Centre (RFSC) - Hanoi, 2012. 9. SWFDP-SeATraining desk 2018 in Hanoi: http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/DPFS/Me e t i n g s/R A II- S e A - SWF D P - Tr a i n i n g - Desk_HaNoi2018/linkedfiles/RFSCTrainingDeskprogramme_final_20180423.docx.