1Red-river Delta Regional Hydro-Meteorological Center
2National Center for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting
Under the condition of climate change, the abnormal extreme weather phenomena has been increasing in both of frequency and intensity, especially the abnormal heat waves in the winter. The paper shows the results of thermodynamic analysis that caused two abnormal heat waves in the winter in northern areas of Viet Nam (one case occurred in the early winter, the other occurred at the end of winter). Based on the largescale synoptic pattern analysis, we found that the key reason that caused abnormal heat waves in the winter in northern areas of Viet Nam is due to the unusual activities of western hot low pressure and western Pacific subtropical high pressure in combination with “foehn” effect caused by Hoang Lien Son high rock mountain . In some cases, the combination between strong cold surge that descending from the south China and western hot low pressure also caused an abnormal heat wave in the winter.
Cite this paper
Vo Van Hoa, Vu Anh Tuan, Du Duc Tien, Mai Khanh Hung, Luong Thi Thanh Huyen, Luu Khanh Huyen (2018), Study on a Case study of Abnormal Heat Waves in the Winter in the Northern Areas of Viet Nam in 2010 and 2015. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, 01, 43-53.
1. Bin, W., Renguang, Wu., Lau, K.M, 2001. Interannual Variability of the Asian Summer Monsoon: Contrasts between the Indian and the Western North Pacific-East Asian Monsoons. Journal of Climate. 14, 4073 - 4090.
2. Bingyi W., Jia W., 2002. Winter Arctic Oscillation, Siberian high and East Asian Winter Monsoon. Geo. Res. Letters. 29 (9): 1-3.
3. Hansen, J., Ruedy, R., Glascoe, J., Sato, M., 1999: GISS analysis of surface temperature change. J. Geophysi. Res. 104: 30997-31022.
4. Sirapong Sooktawee, Usa Humphries, Atsamon Limsakul, Prungchan Wongwises, 2014. Spatio-Temporal Variability of Winter Monsoon over the Indochina Peninsula. Atmosphere. 5:101-121.
5. Wallace, Gutzle, 1981: Teleconnections in the geopotential height field during the northern hemisphere winter. Mon. Wea. Rev. 109: 784 - 812.
6. Yi Zhang, Kenneth R. Sperber, James S. Boyle, 1997. Climatology and Interannual Variation of the East Asian Winter Monsoon: Results from the 1979 - 1995 NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis. Mon. Wea. Rev. 125: 2605-2619.