1 HCMC University of Technology
2 HCMC University of Science
3 HCMC University of Natural Resources and Environment
4 HCMC Department of Science and Technology
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
A numerical model to simulate Litho-dynamic processes and bottom morphology at the coastal area such as the flow, sediment transport and bed changes under the effects of tides, waves and winds have been suggested. The model is based on the system of Reynolds equation coupled with sediment transport and bed load continuity equation. There are three verification cases of the model: verification of the tide-induced current, the wave-induced current and the sediment transportation., The results from the model are good in accordance with the analytical solution. The model is then applied to the coastal zone of Can Gio mangrove forest and Cua Lap estuary (South East of Vietnam). As a result, the trend of sediment accretion and erosion in these two areas are qualitatively in agreement with satellite observation and practical measurement.
Cite this paper
Nguyen Thi Bay, Dao Nguyen Khoi, Tran Thi Kim, Nguyen Ky Phung (2018), Research on Bottom Morphology and Lithodynamic Processes in the Coastal Area by Using Numerical Model: Case Studies of Can Gio and Cua Lap, Southern Vietnam. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, 01, 70-75.
1. Airy, G.B., 1845. On the laws of the tides on the coasts of Ireland, as inferred from an extensive series of observations made in connexion with the Ordnance Survey of Ireland. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London. 1 - 124.
2. Adele, M., Christopher, W. R., and Alan, K.Z., 2004. Two-dimensional depth-averaged circulation model M2D: Verion 2.0, Report 1, Technical documentation and User’s guide. U. S. Army Corps of Engineers Washington.
3. Bay, N.T., 1997. Modeling of Hydrological and Morphological dynamic processes in tidal basin. Doctoral dissertation in Oceanography, Saint-Petersburg University.
4. Bay, N.T., Toan, T.T., Phung, N.K., and Tri N.Q., 2011. Numerical investigation on the sediment transport trend of Can Gio coastal area (Southern Vietnam), J. of Marine Env.
5. Bay, N.T., 2009. Apply the mathematical model for investigating the current, sediment transport and bed level change in Bac Lieu coastal area. Journal of Meteorology and Hydrology. 588 (12): 35-41.
6. Douglas, J., 1995. On the numerical integration of uxx + uyy = utt by implicit methods. Journal of the Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics. 3: 42–65.
7. Fischer, H.B., List, J., Koh, C., Imberger J., Brooks, N., 1979. Mixing in inland and coastal waters. Elservier, New York, Academic Press, 302 pages.
8. Vinh and Deguchi, I., 2004. The potential application of Remote Sensing & GIS and numerical models to investigate coastal process in Can Gio region (Saigon river mouth - South Vietnam). Proceedings of International Symposium on Advanced Science and Engineering, the 2nd Asian Pacific International Conference.