1 Faculty of Environmental Sciences, VNU University of Science, Vietnam National University, Hanoi. Add: 334 Nguyen Trai Street, Thanh Xuan District, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
2 VNU Key Laboratory of Analytical Technology for Environmental Quality and Food Safety Control (KLATEFOS), VNU University of Science, Vietnam National University, Hanoi.
Plastic bottle is using everyday causing critical problems to environment, especially sea environment. A large number of plastic bottles come back to continent from sea by wave and stuck at coastal zone. Plastic waste in general or plastic bottle in particular has bad effects on coastal ecology. Artificial intelligence (AI) is widely applied in many fields, including environment. In this research, we developed a plastic bottle waste detection AI model by using Python, Yolo3, TensorFlow, ImageAI to detect and monitor plastic bottles in a coastal zone. Thousands of photos have been used to train the AI model for increasing detection accuracy. An AI model for plastic bottle detection has been built. The AI model then was applied to monitor plastic bottle waste in a coastal zone. The results showed that AI could detect plastic bottles from video sources better than from photo sources. The AI detected 68.52% sample bottles from photo sources while it could detect 100% a single bottle and 96.05% multiple bottles from video sources. Color bottles were detected better than transparent bottles. The research found that AI is an efficient tool to monitor plastic bottle in a coastal zone. It can automatically monitor and detect plastic bottles at a beach or floating bottles on sea surface.
Cite this paper
1. Awoyera, P.O.; Adesina, A. Plastic wastes to construction products: Status, limitations and future perspective. Case Stud. Constr. Mater. 2020, 12, 00330.
2. Jambeck, J.J.; Britta, D.H.; Amy, L.B.; Tessa, F.; Kristian, T.; Joan, F.; Yannick, B.;, Abou, B.; Julius, F.; Anthony, J.R.; Tatjana, B.; Hindrik, B.; Jonathan, K.; Chris, W. Challenges and emerging solutions to the land–based plastic waste issue in Africa. Mar. Policy 2018, 96, 256–263.
3. Singh, P.; Sharma, V.P. integrated plastic waste management: environmental and improved health approaches. Procedia Environ. Sci. 2016, 35, 692–700.
4. Jambeck, J.R.; Roland, G.; Chris, W.; Theodore, R.S.; Miriam, P.; Anthony, A.; Ramani, N.; Law, K.L. Plastic waste inputs from land into the ocean. Sci. 2015, 347, 768.
5. Orset, C.; Barret, N.; Lemaire, A. How consumers of plastic water bottles are responding to environmental policies? Waste Manage. 2017, 61, 13–27.
6. Dutta, S.; Nadaf, M.B.; Mandal, J.N. An Overview on the use of waste plastic bottles and fly ash in civil engineering applications. Procedia Environ. Sci. 2016, 35, 681–691.
7. Haleem, A.; Javaid, M.; Khan, I.H. Current status and applications of artificial intelligence (AI) in medical field: An overview. Curr. Med. Res. Practice 2019, 9, 231–237.
8. Long, G.J.; Lin, B. H.; Cai, H.X.; Nong, G.Z. Developing an artificial intelligence (AI) management system to improve product quality and production efficiency in furniture manufacture. Procedia Comput. Sci. 2020, 166, 486–490.
9. Noriega, M. The application of artificial intelligence in police interrogations: An analysis addressing the proposed effect AI has on racial and gender bias, cooperation, and false confessions. Futures 2020, 117, 102510.
10. Li, X.; Epureanu, B.I. AI–based competition of autonomous vehicle fleets with application to fleet modularity. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 2020, 287, 856–874.
11. Balmer, R.E.; Levin, S.L.; Schmidt, S. Artificial intelligence applications in telecommunications and other network industries. Telecommun. Policy 2020, 44, 101977.
12. Foroozesh, J.; Abbas, K.; Adel, M.; Ali, H.M. Application of artificial intelligence (AI) in kinetic modeling of methane gas hydrate formation. J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng. 2014, 45, 2258–2264.
13. Garg, A.; Vinay, K.G.; Feng, Y.C.; Lin, Peng.; Wang, Q.; Suriya, G.; Guoxiong, M. Dynamics of soil water content using field monitoring and AI: A case study of a vegetated soil in an urban environment in China. Sustainable Comput. Inf. Syst. 2019, 100301.
14. Rahmanifard, H.; Plaksina, T. Application of fast analytical approach and AI optimization techniques to hydraulic fracture stage placement in shale gas reservoirs. J. Nat. Gas Sci. Eng. 2018, 52, 367–378.
15. Pang, B.; Nijkamp E.; Wu, Y.N. Deep learning with TensorFlow: A review. J. Educ. Behav. Stat. 2019, 45, 227–248.
16. Janardhanan, P.S. Project repositories for machine learning with TensorFlow. Procedia Comput. Sci. 2020, 171, 188–196.
17. Liu, M.; Grana, D. Accelerating geostatistical seismic inversion using TensorFlow: A heterogeneous distributed deep learning framework. Comput. Geosci. 2019, 124, 37–45.
18. Rampasek, L.; Goldenberg, A. TensorFlow: Biology’s gateway to deep learning? Cell Syst. 2016, 2, 12–14.
19. Do, Q.; Son, T.C.; Chaudri, J.; Classification of asthma severity and medication using TensorFlow and multilevel databases. Procedia Comput. Sci. 2017, 113, 344–351.
20. Alkashash, A.M.; Seifeldin, A; Robin, C.; Huma, F.; Chelsea, P.C.T.; Isam, E.E. Classification of Pap Test Images using TensorFlow as an open source artificial intelligence software. J. Am. Soc. Cytopathol. 2019, 8, 29–30.
21. Khan, M.N.; Ahmed, M.M.; Trajectory–level fog detection based on in–vehicle video camera with TensorFlow deep learning utilizing SHRP2 naturalistic driving data. Accid. Anal. Prev. 2020, 142, 105521.
22. Sang, C.; Di Pierro, M. Improving trading technical analysis with TensorFlow long short–term memory (LSTM) neural network. J. Finance Data Sci. 2019, 5, 1–11.
23. Zhuang, Z.M.; Liu, G.B.; Ding, W.L.; Raj, A.N.J.; Qiu, S.M.; Guo, J.F.; Yuan, Y. Cardiac VFM visualization and analysis based on YOLO deep learning model and modified 2D continuity equation. Computerized Med. Imaging Graphics 2020, 82, 101732.
24. Huang, Z.C.; Wang, J.L.; Fu, X.S.; Yu, T.; Guo, Y.Q.; Wang, R.T. DC–SPP–YOLO: Dense connection and spatial pyramid pooling based YOLO for object detection. Inf. Sci. 2020, 522, 241–258.
25. Jamtsho, Y.; Riyamongkol, P.; Waranusast, R.; Real–time Bhutanese license plate localization using YOLO. ICT Express 2020, 6, 121–124.
26. Hendry, R.; Chen, C. Automatic license plate recognition via sliding–window darknet–YOLO deep learning. Image Vision Comput. 2019, 87, 47–56.
27. Shinde, S.; Kothari, A.; Gupta, V. YOLO based human action recognition and localization. Procedia Comput. Sci. 2018, 133, 831–838.
28. Li, J.; Su, Z.; Geng, J.; Yin, Y. Real–time detection of steel strip surface defects based on improved yolo detection network. IFAC–PapersOnLine 2018, 51, 76–81.
29. Saaty, T.L. The analytic hierarchy process. McGraw Hill International, 1980.
30. Achu, A.L.; Thomas, J.; and Reghunath, R. Multi–criteria decision analysis for delineation of groundwater potential zones in a tropical river basin using remote sensing, GIS and analytical hierarchy process (AHP). Groundwater Sustainable Dev. 2020, 10, 100365.
31. Rajak, M.; Shaw, K. Evaluation and selection of mobile health (mHealth) applications using AHP and fuzzy TOPSIS. Technol. Soc. 2019, 59, 101186.
32. Wolnowska, A.E; Konicki, W. Multi–criterial analysis of oversize cargo transport through the city, using the AHP method. Transp. Res. Procedia 2019, 39, 614–623.
33. Erick, L.; Ewerton, G.; Eduardo, F.R.; Loures, E. A.; Portela, S.; Fernando, D. Applying machine learning to AHP multicriteria decision making method to assets prioritization in the context of industrial maintenance 4.0. IFAC–PapersOnLine 2019, 52, 2152–2157.
34. Redmon, J.; Santosh, D.; Ross, G.; Farhadi, A. You only look once: Unified, real–time object detection. In Proceedings of the IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, 2016, 779–788.
35. Redmon, J.; Farhadi, A. YOLOv3: An Incremental Improvement, University of Washington, 2018, arXiv preprint arXiv:1804.02767.
36. Olafenwa, M.J. ImageAI, an open source python library built to empower developers to build applications and systems with self–contained Computer Vision capabilities, 2018 (cited 2020 02/01/2020). Available from: https://github.com/OlafenwaMoses/ImageAI.