1 Ho Chi Minh City University of Natural Resources and Environment, 236B Le Van Sy, ward 1, Ta Binh, Ho Chi Minh City; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
2 Hydro–Meteorology Center of An Giang Province, 64 Ton Duc Thang, My Binh ward, Long Xuyen City, An Giang; firstname.lastname@example.org;
*Correspondence: email@example.com; Tel.: +84–983738347
The impacts of climate change such as sea level rise, floods, droughts, saltwater intrusion, extreme weather ... are more and more evident. It causes significant damage to the socio–economy of Vietnam, especially the rice farming industry. In Vietnam, over the past 50 years, the average temperature has risen by about 2–3 degrees Celsius and the sea level has risen by about 20 cm. According to the simulation scenarios, it is estimated that by the end of the twenty–first century, compared to the average in the period 1980–2005, the average temperature in Vietnam could increase by 2.3 degrees Celsius, the annual rainfall would increase by about 5%. and the sea level could rise by 75 cm. There are many influencing factors affecting rice yield such as: meteorological factors, hydrology, saline intrusion, farming, pests,... This study, only the change in yield is assessed rice due to the impact of changes in temperature and precipitation in the context of climate change in the LXQR). By using the CROPWAT model to calculate rice yields with temperature changes and rainfall over periods according to climate change scenarios, the results show that under the RCP4.5 scenario when heat If the degree and rainfall increase, the rice yield decreases by 25.4% on average; RCP8.5 rice yield decreased by 25.3% on average.
Cite this paper
Van, C.T.; Duong, P.T.T.; Nga, D.T.; Ninh, L.V. Study on assessing the impact of climate change (temperature and rainfall) on rice yield in the Long Xuyen Quadrangle region (LXQR) – Vietnam. VN J. Hydrometeorol 2021, 7, 65-73.
1. Duong, V.N.; Thai, M.T.; Do, H.T. Assessment of water resource demand and reserves for agricultural production in LXQR, Kien Giang province, 2015–2016. J. Agric. Rural Dev. 2019, 1, 70–79.
2. McGuire, S. FAO, IFAD, and WFP. The state of food insecurity in the world 2015: meeting the 2015 international hunger targets: taking stock of uneven progress. Rome: FAO, ed: Oxford University Press, 2015.
3. McGuire, S. WHO, World Food Programme, and International Fund for Agricultural Development. The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2012. Economic growth is necessary but not sufficient to accelerate reduction of hunger and malnutrition. Rome, FAO. (Eds). Oxford University Press. 2013.
4. Nguyen, V.V.; Nguyen, V.L.; Ngo, T.G.; Nguyen, H.S. Impacts of climate changes on yield of Dong Xuan rice in Son La province and coping measures. Sci. Tech. Hydrometeorol. J. 2002, 504, 1–9.
5. Lee, S.K.; Dang, T.A. Predicting the water use–demand as a climate change adaptation strategy for rice planting crops in the Long Xuyen Quadrangle Delta. Paddy Water Environ. 2019, 17, 561–570.
6. Nguyen, T.T.; Van, P.D.T.; Nguyen, H.T. Flow dynamics in the Tu Giac Long Xuyen area under the impact of a dyke to prevent floods. J. Sci. Can Tho University 2013, 25A, 85–93.
7. Nguyen, T.M.H.; Tran, V.T.; Huynh, V.T.M.; Van, P.D.T. Evaluate the effects of hydro–meteorological factors and agricultural production on rice productivity in the mezzanine area in An Giang province. J. Sci. Can Tho University 2012, 23A, 165–173.
8. Luu, V.N. Research on building hydro–meteorological database of An Giang province in the context of climate change. General report on scientific research projects at An Giang province, 2018.
9. MONRE. Climate change and sea level rise scenarios for Vietnam. Vietnam Map and Environmental Resources Publishing House, 2016.
10. Doorenbos, J.; Kassam, A. Yield response to water. Irrigation Drainage Paper 1979, 33, pp. 257.
11. Allen, R.G.; Pereira, L.S.; Raes, D.; Smith, M. Crop Evapotranspiration–Guidelines for computing crop water requirements–FAO Irrigation and drainage paper 56. Fao. Rome. 1998, 300, D05109.
12. Hydraulic structure–Irrigation and drainage system – Method of irrigation coefficient determination for rice crop, 2012.
13. Tuan, N.D.; Van, C.T. Impact Assessment of Climate Change on Surface Water Resources in An Giang Province. J. Sci. VNU Sci. Technolo. 2015, 31(3S), 261–268.
14. Tuan, N.D.; Van, C.T.; Truong, C.D.; Khanh, N.T.; Anh, V.T.V.; Hong, N.V. Design of Decision Support Systems for Management of Land and Water Resources in Mekong Delta Responding to Climate Change. Sci. Tech. Hydrometeorol. J. 2015, 659, 34–41.
15. Tuan, N.D.; Can, T.V.; Truong, C.D.; Huong, L.T.V. Building and Integrating Information for Building Decision Support System (DSS) in Land and Water Management in the Mekong Delta for Climate Change Response. Sci. Tech. Hydrometeorol. J. 2015, 660, 32–37.
16. Hai, T.X.; Nghi, V.V.; Hung, V.H.; Tuan, D.N.; Lam, D.T.; Van, C.T. Assessing and Forecasting Saline Intrusion in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta under the Impact of Upstream Flow and Sea Level Rise. J. Environ. Sci. Eng. B 2019, 8, 174–185. https://doi.org/10.17265/2162–5263/2019.05.005
17. Van, C.T.; Son, N.T. Study on hydrological and hydraulic simulation in the Mekong Delta to evaluate the impact of the ring dike system on the surface flow change in Dong Thap Muoi area. Sci. Earth Environ. 2016, 32(3S), 256–263.
18. Tuan, N.D.; Van, C.T.; Phuong, P.V.H.; Huong, L.T.V. Building the knowledge base serves establishing decision support system (DSS) for land and water resources management in The Mekong River Delta response to climate change. Procceding ICENR ILTER–EAP Ecological insights and environmental protection for sustainable development under climate changes in East–Asia and Pacific regions 10/2016.
19. Van, C.T.; Tri, D.Q.; Son, N.T.; Thao, T.T.T.; Hoa, D.T.H. Determining the vulnerability index in the context of high floods in An Giang province. IOP Conf. Ser. Earth Environ. Sci. 2019, 307, 012015, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755–1315/307/1/012015.
20. Vo, T.D.; Le, T.S.; Vo, D.M.L. Analysis of factors affecting yield of winter–spring paddy in agro–ecological zones along the west coast of Mekong Delta. J. Sci. Can Tho University 2019, 55(5D), 99–108.
21. Bao, T.; Nguyen, T.P.; Bui, C.N.; Tran T.H. Study to evaluate the effects of climate change on rice yield in the Mekong Delta. Sci. Tech. Hydrometeorol. J. 2011, 611, 1–5.