1 Thuyloi University, No. 175 Tay Son Street, Dong Da, Hanoi, Vietnam; firstname.lastname@example.org
2 Water Resource Institute, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, No.8 Phao Dai Lang Street, Dong Da, Hanoi; email@example.com
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
Water resources inventory has become one of the important issues in many countries including Vietnam in order to build a database on the quantity of water sources, of water amount, water quality, current status of exploitation and polluted discharge into the water sources, economic value of water, so as to serve national water resource reports and information needs on water resources for socio-economic activities, national defense, security, science, education, training and other needs, etc., and serve as a basis for formulating and adjusting master plans and plans on water resources, as a basis for adjusting policies and laws on water resources. Till now, a number of countries have carried out activities for water resources inventory, but the inventory of water resources in Vietnam has not been officially implemented due to lacks of scientific basis in developing the inventory indicators and limitation of other resources. This article presents the contents related to water resource inventory in some countries and the current status of national water resource inventory activities in order to provide a system inventory criteria and methodology to be used in the inventory of water resources in future development.
Cite this paper
Hang, N.T.M.; Don, N.C. The necessity of water resources inventory in Vietnam. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2021, 8, 64-72.
1. Don, N.C. Research proposal on “Scientific basis for establishing a system of indicators for water resource inventory. Application to the Ba River basin”. Coded TNMT.2019.02.01, 2019 (in Vietnamese).
2. Charles, B.; Jippe, H.; Jean-Marc, F.; Livia, P. Water accounting and auditing: A sourcebook. FAO Water Report 43, 2016, pp. 232.
3. UN-Water “UN-Water Task Force on Indicators, Monitoring and Reporting: Final report”, 2006, pp. 44.
4. United Nation. International Recommendation for Water Statitics. Statistical papers Series M, No.91. ST/ESA/STAT/SER.M/91, 2012.
5. USGS and ERSI. An online geographic information system that provides information on watersheds in the United States. Online available: https://streamstats.usgs.gov/ss/. Assessed 15/06/2021.
6. Bureau of Meteorology. Information on Water Resources, at Website http://www.bom.gov.au/water/, Assessed 15/06/2021.
7. United Nations Economic and Social Commisssion for Western Asia (UN-ESCWA) và German Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR). Inventory of Shared Water Resources in Western Asia. Online available: https://waterinventory.org/.
8. Law on Management and Use of Public Property. No. 15/2017/QH14, dated 21 June, 2017, 2017 (in Vietnamese).
9. Dung, N.K. Project “Research on scientific and practical basis to determine content, methods of calculation, synthesis and statistics of water resource indicators”, MONRE, 2010 (in Vietnamese).
10. Xuan, T.T. và Tuyen H.M. “Vietnam's water resources and management”. 2012 (in Vietnamese).
11. ADB. Project on technical support for water sector assessment for Vietnam, 2005-2009.
12. Decree 201/2013/ND-CP dated November 27, 2013 of the Government guiding the implementation of a number of articles of the Law on Water Resources, 2013 (in Vietnamese).
13. Water Resources Management Department, MONRE. Research and propose to expand the system of statistical indicators of underground water resources to better serve the state management of water resources, 2012 (in Vietnamese).
14. Decision No. 81/2006/QD-TTg dated April 14, 2006 of the Prime Minister approving the National Strategy on water resources until 2020, 2006 (in Vietnamese).
15. Decision No. 305/2005/QD-TTg on the promulgation of the National Statistical Indicator System, 2005 (in Vietnamese).
16. Decision No. 18/2007/QD-BTNMT promulgating the System of Statistical Indicators of the Natural Resources and Environment Sector, 2007 (in Vietnamese).
17. Circular No. 20/2018/TT-BTNMT on Statistical reporting regime of natural resources and environment industry, 2018 (in Vietnamese).
18. Circular No. 02/2014/TT-BTNMT stipulating the regime of statistical reporting of the natural resources and environment sector, 2014 (in Vietnamese).
19. Law on Water Resources 2012, No. 17/2012/QH13, 2012 (in Vietnamese).
20. Circular No. 29/2013/TT-BTNMT Promulgating the system of statistical indicators for the natural resources sector, 2013 (in Vietnamese).
21. Circular No. 73/2017/TT-BTNMT Promulgating the system of statistical indicators for the natural resources sector, 2017 (in Vietnamese).