1 HUTECH University; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org;
2 Hochiminh City University of Nature Resources & Environment; email@example.com;
3 Researcher: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Correspondence: email@example.com; Tel.: +84–966687548
Research on water quality assessment of Hau river in An Giang province was conducted in 2019 in the upper Hau river (SH–T) and downstream Hau river adjacent to Can Tho (SH–H) through the following physico–chemical parameters, heavy metals: temperature, pH, Dissolved Oxygen (DO), COD, BOD5, Total Suspended Solids (TSS), Nitrate (NO3– by N), Phosphate (PO43– by P), Coliform, Arsenic (As), Lead (Pb), Mercury (Hg), Ammonium (NH4+ by N) and zooplankton system. Research results showed that: (1) Surface water quality in the area showed signs of pollution, DO content: 3.02–5.97 mg/l, lower than the standard (≥ 6 mg/l); TSS parameters: 35–90 mg/l, 1.75–4.5 times higher than standard; COD: 10–23 mg/l, 1.1–2.2 times higher than standard; BOD5: 7–14 mg/l, 1.75–3.5 times higher than standard; Ammonium: 0.039–1.14 mg/l higher than standard 1.63 times in March and 3.83 times in September; Coliform: 2.100–24.000 MNP/100ml, not guaranteed well according to QCVN 08–MT:2015/BTNMT (level A1); (2) Surface water quality in the upper Hau river area according to diversity index H’: 0.91 in March at “Heavily polluted” and H’: 1.89 in September, at “Moderately polluted”; (3) The results of statistical analysis and PCA showed that the water quality parameters had significant differences between the two seasons, the rainy season showed signs of Coliform pollution and TSS more than the dry season.
Cite this paper
Phu, H.; Ngoc, T.N.L.; Ngoc, H.H.T.; Ngoc, N.T. Research on assessment of surface water quality of Hau river in An Giang province on the basis of physicochemical parameters and zooplankton system, Vietnam. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2021, 9, 54-75.
1. Wikipedia. Key economic region in the Mekong Delta region. https://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%B9ng_kinh_t%E1%BA%BF_tr%E1%BB%8Dng_%C4%91i%E1%BB%83m_v%C3%B9ng_%C4%91%E1%BB%93ng_b%E1%BA%B1ng_s%C3%B4ng_C%E1%BB%ADu_Long (In Vietnamese).
2. Luu, P.T. Using water quality index (WQI) and the biological diatom index (BDI) for assessment of the water quality in the Sai Gon River. Ho Chi Minh City Univ. Educ. J. Sci. 2020, 17(9), 1558–1596. (In Vietnamese)
3. Lien, N.T.K. Research on biological monitoring methods in assessing water quality on Hau river route using large invertebrates. PhD thesis in aquaculture, 2017.
4. Boyd, C.E. Water quality for pond Aquaculture. Deparment of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures. Auburn University, Alabama 36849 USA, 1998, pp. 37.
5. Quyen, L.C. Distribution of phytoplankton in Bung Binh Thien, An Giang. Sci. J. An Giang University 2015, 7(3), 66–74.
6. Cat, L.V.; Nhung, D.H.; Cat, N.N. Quality aquaculture water and quality improvement solutions. Science and Technology Publishing Company, Hanoi, 2006, pp. 424.
7. Ba, L.H. Soil environment ecology. Ho Chi Minh City National University Publishing Company, 2007, pp. 320.
8. Linh, L.T.N.; Hung, P.Q. Current status of exploitation and protection of inland aquatic resources in An Giang province. J. Fish. Sci. Technol. 2015, 2, 47–49.
9. Nguyen, P.Q.; Y, L.H.; Cong, N.V.; Phu, T.Q. Evolution of some water quality parameters in intensive cultured catfish (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus) ponds. Scie. J. Can Tho Univ. 2014, 34, 128–136.
10. Thuong, P.V.; Bach, D.D. Textbook of environmental chemistry, Hanoi Science and Technology Publishing Company, 1999, pp. 231.
11. Department of Natural Resources and Environment of An Giang province, 5–year environmental status report of An Giang province for the period 2005–2009, 2012, pp. 152.
12. Tri, T.N.; Dat, H.D.; Sang, N.V. Research on the biodiversity of fish fauna in Bung Binh Thien wetland, An Giang province. J. Biol. 2012, 34, 21–29.
13. Nguyen, T.T. Fluctuations in water quality in Hau river. Master thesis, Faculty of Fisheries, Can Tho University, 2013, pp. 70.
14. Phu, T.Q.; Yi, Y. Effects of catfish farming in rafts on water quality in Hong Ngu district, Dong Thap province. Sci. J. Can Tho Univ. 2005, 3, 8–17.
15. Van, L.T.H.; My, T.N.D. Survey of phytoplankton composition and surface water quality at some points around aquaculture areas in some Ben Tre provinces. J. Sci. Technol. Dev. Fac. 4(1), 401–411.
16. Ty, D.V.; Huy, N.H.; Da, C.T.; Ut, V.N.; Viet, T.V. Assessment of water quality changes in Bung Binh Thien, An Giang province. Can Tho Univ. Sci. J. 2018, 54(3), 125-131. Doi:10.22144/ ctu.jvn.2018.048.
17. Dung, T.D.; Quan, N.Q.; Hue, N.T.T.; Luan, P. Evaluation of water quality in La Buong river by method multivariate statistics over space and time. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2021, 731, 36–53. Doi:10.36335/VNJHM.2021(731).36-53.
18. Climatology and Hydrology Research Centre. Department for Geography, Tourism and Hotel Management. Statistical analysis of water quality parameters of veliki bački canal (vojvodina, serbia) in the period 2000–2009. Carpathian J. Earth Environ. Sci. 2012, 7(2), 255–264.
19. Hung, N.T.Q.; Dang, D.H.; Thai, P.V.; Ky, N.M.; Tuan, H.N.A. Research and assessment of water use and quality level of living in Trang Bang district, Tay Ninh province. VNU Sci. J. Earth Environ. Sci. 2018, 34(4), 10–21.
20. Au, N.H.; Ngan, P.T.K.; Thuy, H.T.T.; Ngoc, P.N.H. Aplication of multivariate statistical analysis in Evaluation of underground water quality Tan Thanh district, Ba Ria – Vung Tau province. Sci. Technol. Dev. 2017, 20, M2–2017.