1Center for Eco-Community Development (ECODE), Vietnam
2VNU-Central Institute for Natural Resources and Environmental Studies (CRES)
3Center for Eco-Community Development (ECODE), Vietnam
Civil society organizations (CSOs) in Vietnam have been making significant contributions to climate change adaptation at both local and national levels. CSOs have been applying various methods in climate vulnerability assessment (CVA) to develop practical adaptive measures, with the more commonly used ones being “community-based”, “participatory”, and so on. The CVA methods that most CSOs have applied to climate change studies and projects in more than 30 provinces and cities include: HVCA, PVCA, CVCA and VA-EBA. The process and effectiveness of each method is different, depending on the technical capacity and support resources. Overall, the CVA results obtained are not only an important input for various adaptation programs, projects and models in localities but also a major contribution of non-governmental organizations to the National Adaptation Plan. This paper aims to provide evidence of climate vulnerability assessment for adaptation projects that have been implemented by CSO in the last 10 years as well as feedback of vulnerable communities and policy recommendations.
Cite this paper
Hoang Thi Ngoc Ha, Nghiem Thi Phuong Tuyen, Bui Thi Kim Oanh (2019), Integration of Climate Vulnerability Assessment of Civil Society Organizations into Nationaladaptation Plan (NAP) in Vietnam. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology 03, 28-38.
1. Angie, D., Kaia, A., Charles, E., 2009. Climate Vulnerability and Capacity Analysis Handbook, CARE international.
2. Doswald, N., Osti, M., 2011. Ecosystembased approaches to adaptation and mitigation - good practice examples and lessons learned in Europe. Federal Agency for Nature Conservation, Germany.
3. Füssel, H.M., Klein, R.J.T., 2006. Climate Change Vulnerability Assessments: An Evolution of Conceptual Thinking. Climatic Change, 75(3): 301-329.
4. Hoang, T.N.H., Truong, Q.H., 2016. Development to climate change adaptive Livelihood by Ecosystem - based Approach (EbA). Vietnam Natural resources and Environment Magazine, 4: 7-10.
5. Hoang, T.N.H., Nghiem, T.P.T., Truong, Q.H., 2019. Report of Climate Vulnerability Assessment by Civil Society Organizations: Towards the National Adaptation Plan (NAP) in Vietnam. Printed by FRIEDRICH EBERT STIFTUNG and Climate Change Working Group in Vietnam, Hanoi, 2019.
6. Le, N.T., 2017. Research overview of climate change vulnerability assessment. Journal of Science and Technology Development, 2: 5-20.
7. MARD and UNDP, 2015. Communitybased Disaster risk Assessment Guidelines, Disaster Management Center, Hanoi.
8. Truong, Q.H., Hoang, T.N.H., Vu, T.B.H., 2019. Booklet “Civil society organizations and the National Plan for Climate Change Adaptation”. UNDP/GEF SGP and SRD, Hanoi.
9. TTCP, 2016. Plan for implementation of the Paris Agreement by Decision No. 2053/QDTTg.
10. UNFCCC, 2015. Adoption of the Paris Agreement. Conference of the Parties, Twentyfirst session, Paris.