1Centre for Water Resources Warning and Forecasting (CEWAFO), National Center for Water Resources Planning and Investigation; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.
2 National Center for Water Resources Planning and Investigation; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
3 University of Virginia; firstname.lastname@example.org
4 Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, Viet Nam Meteorological and Hydrological Administration; email@example.com
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel.: +84–982420298
Currently, water resources planning is paying attention in Vietnam with several master plans established in some large basins across the country. However, in the context of water resources planning, the water allocation task still has inconsistency in calculation methodology. Therefore, this study aims to provide a set of indicators to estimate water and land resources to serve as the foundation for water resources allocation task. We have been used the following methods: (i) data collection, analysis and processing; (ii) field surveying; (iii) expert consultation; and (iv) mathematical modelling. We selected the Southern Hau River basin (SHRB) as our pilot study. The results indicate that the total amount of surface water from the Hau River supplying to the entire SHRB region in the dry season months (January to April) is about 487 million m3/month. The total amount of groundwater (saltwater and freshwater) is 35.5 million m3/day, with 16.7 million m3/day coming from freshwater. The SHRB has a great variation in season - 3.8 billion m3 (19%) for the dry season and 16.19 billion m3 (81%) for the flood season. The outcomes of this study provide basis information for implementing water resources planning’s steps in allocating water resources to the SHRB’s sub–basins.
Cite this paper
Van. L.T.M.; Tung, N.V.; Hung, L.M.; Ngoc, B.T.B.; Tri. D.Q.; Chau, T.V.; Dung, B.V.; Hung, T.V.; Ha, D.H. Assessment of water resources using comprehensive sustainability indicators for water and land resources - a pilot study for the Southern Hau River basin. VN. Hydrometeorol 2021, 9, 101-116.
1. Chaves, H.M.L.; Alipaz, S. An integrated indicator based on basin hydrology, environment, life, and policy: The watershed sustainability index. Water Resour. Manage. 2007, 21, 883–895..
2. Catano, N.; Marchand, M.; Staley, S.; Wang, Y. Development And Validation Of The Watershed Sustainability Index (WSI) For The Watershed Of The Reventazón River, 2009, pp. 67.
3. Mititelu–Ionuş, O. Watershed Sustainability Index Development and Application: Case Study of the Motru River in Romania. Pol. J. Environ. Stud. 2017, 26(5), 2095–2105.
4. Department of Water Resources Management. Report on Vietnam Water Sector Assessment Project, 2009.
5. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment. Master plan for socio–economic development in the Red River Delta in the period 2010–2013, 2013.
6. Y, T.V.; Tri, N.D.; Can, L.T.; Chi, T.T.; Chinh, N.T.; Hau, N.X.; Hieu, N.V.; Tuan, D.Q.; Thinh, N.V.; Tuan, N.T.; Hennessy, J. Establishing a sustainable development indicator set including economic, social, and environmental fields in Tay Nguyen provinces. VN J. Earth Sci. 2014, 36, 241–251.
7. Hoan, H.V. Research on assessing the sustainability of groundwater resources in Ho Chi Minh City, Binh Duong and Dong Nai, 2012.
8. Van, L.T.M. Research on determining the sustainability index of the river basin and its pilot application in the Cau River basin. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, 2016.
9. Huong, H.T.L. Research on the scientific basis and propose solutions for integrated management of water resources in the Lo River basin. Hanoi Water Resources University, 2009.
10. Dung, N.K. Research on scientific and practical basis to determine content, methods of calculation, synthesis and statistics of water resource indicators, 2012.
11. Southern Institute of Water Resource Planning. The Mekong Delta Irrigation Master Plan in the context of climate change and sea–level rise, 2009.
12. Chuong, H.V.; Mai, L.Q. Evaluation of multi–criteria land for the development of land use types for rubber trees in the hilly areas of Huong Tra district, Thua Thien Hue province. J. Soil Sci. 2012, 39, 123–127.
13. Dinh, L.C. Integration of GIS and multi–criteria group decision analysis in land adaptation assessment. J. Agric. Rural Dev. 2011, 82–89.
14. Trang, N.T.T. Research on sustainable land use in Ba Lat estuary area, Giao Thuy district, Nam Dinh province. Hanoi University of Agriculture, 2013.
15. Binh, N.V. Assessment of the current status to propose directions for sustainable agricultural land use in Huong Tra town, Thua Thien Hue province. Hue University, 2017.
16. Tuan, T.V.; Huan, N.C.; Thu, D.T.T.; Chinh, N.T.; Nhu, T.T.Q. Research and evaluation of land use system for sustainable agricultural land use planning (Case study: Dai Thanh commune, Quoc Oai district, Hanoi city). VNU Sci. J. Earth Environ. Sci. 2015, 31, 24–35.
17. Vietnam Mekong River Commission. Study of the Impacts of Hydroelectric Plants on the Mainstream of the Mekong River, Main Report, 2016.
18. Chinh, N.H. and et al. The results of groundwater monitoring in the Southern Delta in the National Monitoring Project – Southern Federation of Hydrogeology– Engineering Geology, 2000.
19. Dung, N.H. and et al. Project Result Report: N–Q stratigraphic division and study of the geological structure of the Southern Delta. General Department of Geology and Minerals of Vietnam, Archives Library of the Southern Federation of Hydrogeology– Engineering Geology, 2004.
20. Dung, N.Q. et al. Result Report: Result of water survey in the Remoted Southern region. General Department of Geology and Minerals of Vietnam, Archives Library of the Southern Federation of Hydrogeology– Engineering Geology, 2003.
21. DHI. Research Project on Impacts of Hydroelectric Plants on the Mainstream of the Mekong River, Volume 1–Model–Design and Simulation, 2016.
22. Vietnam Institute of Meteorology Hydrology and Environment. Impact of climate change on water resources and adaptation measures in the Mekong Delta, 2010.
23. Thai, T.H. Research on the effects of climate change on the change of water resources in the Mekong Delta, 2013.
24. Develop a plan for sustainable irrigation management in the Mekong Delta. Institute of Irrigation & Environment– University of Water Resources, 2013.
25. Report on the formulation of water resources planning tasks in the Mekong River Basin. National Center for Planning and Investigation of Water Resources, 2018.
26. Chaurasia, A.K.; Pandey, H.K.; Tiwari, S.K.; Prakash, R.; Pandey, P.; Ram, A. Groundwater Quality assessment using Water Quality Index (WQI) in parts of Varanasi District, Uttar Pradesh, India. Journal of the Geological Society of India, 2018, 92(1), 76–82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12594–018–0955–1.