1 Sub Institute of HydroMeteorology and Climate Change; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel.: +84–913613206
The study on assessing the impacts of saline intrusion on water resources, from building a hydraulic model MIKE 11 including hydraulic model, rain model, and advection–dispersion module (HD + RR + AD) together with the calculation scenarios in consideration of climate change through the high scenarios RCP 8.5 and low scenarios RCP 4.5 in 2025, 2030 and 2050 are highlighted in the paper. In addition, the impacts of salinity, salinity margins on the constructions, and water resources through the cases with or without the saltwater prevention works are considered, thereby assessing the impact of salinity intrusion through scenarios and structural solutions for water resources in HCMC.
Cite this paper
Hong, N.V.; Dong, N.P. Study to assess the impact of saltwater intrusion in Ho Chi Minh City under climate change conditions. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2022, 10, 11-23.
1. World Bank. The Impact of Sea Level Rise on Developing Countries: A Comparative Analysis. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 4136. 2007. Available online: http://go.worldbank.org/775APZH5K0 (accessed on 15 March 2017).
2. IPCC. Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change; IPCC: Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
3. IPCC. The Physical Science Basis: Contributing of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2013.
4. Ha, N.T.T.; Trang, H.T., Vuong, N.V.; Khoi, D.N. Simulating impacts of sea level rise on salinity intrusion in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam in the period 2015–2100 using MIKE 11. Naresuan Univ. Eng. J. 2016, 11, 21–24.
5. Nguyen, A.D.; Savenije, H.H.G.; Pham, D.N.P.; Tang, D.T. Using salt intrusion measurements to determine the freshwater discharge distribution over the branches of a multi–channel estuary: The Mekong Delta case. Estuarine Coastal Shelf Sci. 2007, 77, 433–445.
6. Tri, D.Q.; Nguyen, C.D.; Chen, Y.C.; Pawan, K.M. Modeling the Influence of River Flow and Salinity Intrusion Processing in the Mekong River Estuary, Vietnam. Lowland Technol. Int. 2014, 16(1), 14–25.
7. Nguyen, A.D.; Savenije, H.H. Salt intrusion in multi–channel estuaries: A case study in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 2006, 10, 743–754.
8. Tai, V.C.; Linh, N.K.; Ngan, V.H.; Quang, D.N.; Anh, T.V. Investigation of saltwater intrusion in Thanh Han river system by MIKE hydron river package. Transport Commun. Sci. J. 2021, 72(1), 57–68.
9. Tri, D.Q. Application MIKE 11 model on simulation and calculation for saltwater intrusion in Southern region. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2016, 11, 39–46.
10. Tri, D.Q.; Tuyet, Q.T.T. Effect of climate change on salinity intrusion: case study Ca River Basin. J. Clim. Change 2016, 2(1), 91–101.
11. Vu, D.T.; Yamada, T.; Ishidaira, H. Assessing the impact of sea level rise due to climate change on seawater intrusion in Mekong Delta, Vietnam. Water Sci. Technol. 2018, 77, 1632–1639. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2018.038.
12. Van, L.C.J.; Dan, N.P.; Dieperink, C. The Challenges of Water Governance in Ho Chi Minh City. Integr. Environ. Assess. Manage. 2016, 12(2), 345–352.
13. Thanh, B. Impact of climate change and proposed response orientation for water resources, land use planning, infrastructure, and urban flood control in Ba Ria – Vung Tau province. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2013, 12, 12–17.
14. Khoi, D.N.; Thom, V.T.; Linh, D.Q.; Quang, C.N.X.; Phi, H.L. Impact of climate change on water quality in the Upper Dong Nai River Basin, Vietnam. Proceedings of the 36th IAHR World Congress, Netherland, 2015.
15. Kim, T.T.; Son, B.H.; Bay, N.T.; Diem, P.T.M.; Phung, N.K. The calculation of salinization by numerical method: A case study for Sai Gon river. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2019, 3, 17–29.
16. Thuy, N.T.D.; Phung, N.K.; Hoan, N.X.; Khoi, D.N. Assessing the impacts of the changes in the upstream flow and sea level rise due to climate change on seawater intrusion in Ho Chi Minh city using the HEC – RAS 1D Model. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2018, 01, 64–69.
17. Moriasi, D.N.; Arnold, J.G.; Van Liew, M.W.; Bingner, R.L.; Harmel, R.D.; Veith, T.L. Model evaluation guidelines for systematic quantification of accuracy in watershed simulations. Trans. ASABE 2007, 50(3), 885–900.
18. Nielsen, S.A; Hansen, E. Numerical simulation of the rainfall–runoff process on a daily basis. Hydrol. Res. 1973, 4(3), 171–190.
19. Lee, H.L.; Tangang, F.; Hamid, M.R.; Benson, Y.; Razali, M.R. Modeling the Influence of River Flow and Salt Water Intrusion in the Terengganu Estuary, Malaysia. Mater. Sci. Eng. 2016, 136, 012076.
20. MONRE (Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of Vietnam). Climate change and sea level rise scenarios for Vietnam, 2016.