1Faculty of Environmental Sciences, VNU University of Science, Vietnam National University, Hanoi. Add: 334 Nguyen Trai Street, Thanh Xuan District, Ha Noi, Viet Nam.
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: +84–2438584995
Sampling frequency plays important role in water quality monitoring activity. A suitable sampling frequency could save time and cost of monitoring work. In this study, coastal seawater quality of the Northeast of Quang Ninh Province, Vietnam was evaluated by single indicator and statistical analysis of the monitored data from 2016–2019. Then the monitoring frequency was adjusted to match the current pollution status of the study area. The results showed that seawater of the area has good quality. Monitored parameters: pH, DO, TSS, Oil, and grease, Coliform were under the QCVN 10–MT:2015/BTNMT. The manager should pay more attention to NH4+ concentration in seawater by controlling the pollution source of NH4+. Seawater sampling frequency should be rearranged. More samples should be taken at potential pollution points, while reduced in low potential pollution points.
Cite this paper
Tuan, D.H. Evaluate coastal seawater quality and propose sampling frequency for monitoring in the Northeast of Quang Ninh Province, Vietnam. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2022, 10, 24-34.
1. Ma, Z.; Li, H.; Ye, Z.; Wen, J.; Hu, Y.; Liu, Y. Application of modified water quality index (WQI) in the assessment of coastal water quality in main aquaculture areas of Dalian, China. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 2020, 157, 111285.
2. Tam, P.H. Application of Water Quality Index to Assess Environmental Quality in Coastal Monitoring Stations in the South Viet Nam in the Last 5 Years (2011–2015). VNU J. Sci.: Earth Environ. Sci. 2016, 4(32), 36–45.
3. Caballero, I.; Román, A.; Tovar–Sánchez, A.; Navarro, G. Water quality monitoring with Sentinel–2 and Landsat–8 satellites during the 2021 volcanic eruption in La Palma (Canary Islands). Sci. Total Environ. 2022, 822, 153433.
4. Ashikur, M.R.; Rupom, R.S.; Sazzad, M.H. A remote sensing approach to ascertain spatial and temporal variations of seawater quality parameters in the coastal area of Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh. Remote Sens. Appl.: Soc. Environ. 2021, 23, 100593.
5. Zheng, Y.; Zheng, X.; Gao, Z.; Zhang, Y. Prediction of Seawater Quality in Rigs–to–Reefs Area Based on Grey Systems Theory. Procedia Environ. Sci. 2013, 18, 236–242.
6. Wu, Y.; Xie, P.; Dahlak, A. Utilization of Radial Basis Function Neural Network model for Water production forecasting in Seawater Greenhouse units. Energy Rep. 2021, 7, 6658–6676.
7. Franklin, J.B.; Sathish, T.; Vinithkumar, N.V.; Kirubagaran, R..Madeswaran, P. Seawater quality conditions of the south Andaman Sea (Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean) in lustrum during 2010s decade. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 2018, 136, 424–434.
8. Lušić, D.V.; Kranjčević, L.; Maćešić, S.; Lušić, D.; Jozić, S.; Linšak, Ž.; Bilajac, L.; Grbčić, L..Bilajac, N. Temporal variations analyses and predictive modeling of microbiological seawater quality. Water Res. 2017, 119, 160–170.
9. Tam, P.H. Coastal Seawater Quality from Data at South Vietnam Monitoring Stations during 2013 – 2017. VNU J. Sci.: Earth Environ. Sci. 2018, 2(34), 95–109.
10. Nam, L.V.; Nghi, D.T..Ngan, L.T.K. Using index for assessment of water quality and classification of eutrophication levels in the Quang Ninh – Hai Phong coastal area. J. Mar. Sci. Technol. 2018, 17(4), 490–497.
11. Nguyen Dinh Nguyen, N.D.T., Vu Van Tich, Vu Viet Duc, Hoang Van Hiep Characteristics of Seawater Environment and Geochemistry of Surface Sediment in Quang Binh Sea Area (60–100m Depth). VNU J. Sci.: Earth Environ. Sci. 2018, 34(4), 89–97.
12. Pekárová, P.; Pekár, J..Miklánek, P. Impact of water sampling frequency on estimating water quality status in the Ondava River. Ecohydrol. Hydrobiol. 2006, 6(1), 105–113.
13. Piniewski, M.; Marcinkowski, P.; Koskiaho, J..Tattari, S. The effect of sampling frequency and strategy on water quality modelling driven by high–frequency monitoring data in a boreal catchment. J. Hydrol. 2019, 579, 124186.
14. Ward, R.C.; Loftis, J.C.; Nielsen, K.S..Anderson, R.D. Statistical evaluation of sampling frequencies in monitoring networks. J. Water Pollut. Control Fed. 1979, 51(9), 2292–2300.
15. Chappell, N.A.; Jones, T.D.; Tych, W. Sampling frequency for water quality variables in streams: Systems analysis to quantify minimum monitoring rates. Water Res. 2017, 123, 49–57.
16. Naddeo, V.; Scannapieco, D.; Zarra, T.; Belgiorno, V. River water quality assessment: Implementation of non–parametric tests for sampling frequency optimization. Land Use Policy 2013, 30(1), 197–205.
17. Loftis, J.C.; Ward, R.C. Cost–effective selection of sampling frequencies for regulatory water quality monitoring. Environ. Int. 1980, 3(4), 297–302.
18. Sanders, T.G.; Ward, R.C.; Loftis, J.C.; Steele, T.D.; Adrian, D.D..Yevjevich, V. Design of networks for monitoring water quality. Water Res. Publ. 1983, 98–150.
19. EMAC, Q.N., Current Environmental Quality in Quang Ninh Province. 2016–2019: Quang Ninh, Vietnam.