1 Sub Institute of Hydro–Meteorology and Climate Change; firstname.lastname@example.org
*Corresponding author: email@example.com; Tel.: +84–913613206
This study investigates the impact of climate change (CC) on water resources in Phu Yen province, Vietnam by assessing historical trends of temperature, rainfall and flood simulation scenarios from a report of Vietnam of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment in 2020. The method for assessing the impacts on water resources was provided in the report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in 2007. Several areas in Phu Yen province could be high risk of flooding in the middle of the century, such as Son Hoa, Song Cau, Tuy An, Dong Hoa and Tuy Hoa districts, where were chosen as study areas. The analytical results indicate that the impacts of climate change significantly influence to inundation on water resources in these localities. These results could help to partially predict impacts of climate change in the future and provide useful information to plan adaptation strategies in water utilization in Phu Yen province for the policy making on sustainable management with future climatic condition.
Cite this paper
Hong, N.V. Assessment of the impact of climate change on the water resources in Phu Yen province, Vietnam. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2022, 11, 1-14.
1. IPCC. The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007.
2. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Climate change and sea level rise scenarios for Vietnam. Vietnam Publishing House of Natural Resources, Environment and Cartography, 2020.
3. Tan, P.V.; Thanh, N.D. Climate change in Vietnam: Some research results, challenges and opportunities in international integration. VNU J. Sci.: Earth Environ. Sci. 2013, 29(2), 42–55.
4. Hong, N.V., Dong, N.P. Simulation of saline intrusion in main rivers of Ba Ria – Vung Tau province under the context of climate change. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2021, 728, 67–79.
5. Hong, N.V.; Dong, N.P. Studying on building the flood scenarios in ho chi minh city by the impacts of climate change. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2021, 729, 1–13.
6. Hong, N.V.; Nguyen, V.T. The impact of Climate Change on the transportation in Binh Thuan Province. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2021, 8, 9–15.
7. Hong, N.V.; Hien, N.T.; Minh, N.T.T.; Toan, H.C. Forecasting saline intrusion under the influence of the northeast monsoon in the Mekong Delta. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2021, 9, 23–36.
8. Hong, N.V.; Dong, N.P. Research on assessing the impact of saline intrusion on the water resources in Ho Chi Minh City in the context of climate change. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2021, 10, 11–23.
9. Tri, D.Q. Application MIKE 11 model on simulation and calculation for saltwater intrusion in Southern region. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2016, 671, 39–46.
10. World Bank. The Impact of Sea Level Rise on Developing Countries: A Comparative Analysis. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 4136. 2007. Available online: http://go.worldbank.org/775APZH5K0 (accessed on 15 March 2017).
11. MONRE (Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of Vietnam). Vietnam special report on managing the risks of extreme events and disasters to advance climate change adapatation. Vietnam publishing house of Natural Resources, Environment and cartography, 2015.
12. Nicholls, R.J.; Lowe J.A. Climate Stabilization and Impacts of Sea–Level Rise. Avoiding Dangerous Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, ISBN: 13 978–0–521–86471–8. 2006.
13. Hanh, P.T.T. and Furukawa, M. Impact of sea level rise on coastal zone of Viet Nam. Bulletin of the College of Science, University of the Ryukyus, ISSN: 0286–9640. 2007.
14. Dasgupta, S.; Laplante, B.; Meisner, C.; Wheeler, D.; Yan, J. The Impact of Sea Level Rise on Developing Countries. Clim. Change 2009, 93, 379–388.
15. IPCC. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, M.L. Parry, O.F. Canziani, J.P. Palutikof, P.J. van der Linden and C.E. Hanson, Eds., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007, pp. 976.
16. Phung, N.K. Assessment of the climate change impact on nature, people, and socio–economy in Ho Chi Minh City. 2011.
17. Vietnam Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology and Climate Change. Guidance for Assessment of Climate Change Impact and Identification of Adaptation Options. Vietnam Map and Natural Resources and Environment Publishing House. 2011.
18. Thuc, T.; Huong, T.T.T.; Thang, N.V.; Nhuan, M.T.; Tri, L.Q.; Thanh, L.D.; Huong, H.T.L.; Son, V.T.; Thuan, N.T.H.; Tuong, L.N. Special Report of Vietnam on Managing the Risks of Natural Disaster and Extreme Phenomena to Promote Climate Change Adaptation. Vietnam. Vietnam Publishing House of Natural Resources, Environment and Cartography. Hanoi, Vietnam, 2015.
19. Nguyen, Q.H.; Cao, T.Q., Vo, T.P.; Le, V.K.; Vo, Q.M. Evaluation on the effects of saline intrusion and socio–economic factors on agricultural production in Vung Liem district, Vinh Long province. Can Tho Univ. J. Sci.: Environ. Clim. Change 2017, 1, 64–70.
20. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Updated Nationally determined Contribution (NDC) for Vietnam. Vietnam Publishing House of Natural Resources, Environment and Cartography, 2020.
21. Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology and Climate Change. The Impacts of Climate Change on Water Resources and the Mekong Delta Adaptation Measures. 2010.
22. The People’s Committee of Phu Yen province. Project: Developing and updating the Action Plan in response to Climate Change in the period 2021–2030, vision to 2050 of Phu Yen province, 2019.