1 Ho Chi Minh University for Natural Resources and Environment; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
*Correspondence: email@example.com; Tel.: +84–903983932
Along with the development of the industry in Vietnam, the beery industry has contributed greatly to the state budget and creating jobs for labours. However, beer wastewater contains high organic matter, some wastewater discharged parameters such as BOD, COD, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, etc. usually exceed the permitted standards. Based on the above practice, the research was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the horizontal flow wetland model, laboratory scale with organic loading rate varying from 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 kg COD/ha.day. The results show that the concentration of pollutants in the effluent can reach QCVN 40: 2011/BTNMT, column A, before discharged into the environment.
Cite this paper
Lang, T.T.; Han, H.N. Research on brewery wastewater treatment by lab scale constructed wetlands. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2022, 11, 26-35.
1. Hien, N.T. Research on technology model for wastewater treatment of breweries, Master of Science Thesis, Hanoi, 2007.
2. Ha, T.D.; Tin, N.V. Wastewater treatment of breweries according to the model of anaerobic reverse filtration aerotank with intermittent operation. Proceeding of 14th Conference of Science and Technology of Construction University, Hanoi, Vietnam, Construction Publishing House, 2006, pp. 85–93.
3. Lai, T.X.; Duong, N.T. Industrial wastewater treatment, Construction Publishing House, Hanoi, 2009.
4. Azad, H.S. Industrial Wastewater Management Handbook Mc. Graw–Hill. New York, 1976.
5. Beyene, D.; Rao, P.V.V. The effectiveness of waste stabilization ponds in the treatment of brewery effluent the case of META ABO BREWERY waste stabilization ponds, Sebeta, Ethiopia. J. Res. Sci. Technol. 2013, 2(8), 10–21.
6. Brewers Association Water and Wastewater: Treatment/Volume Reduction Manual, India, pp. 1–47.
7. Inyang, U.E.; Bassey, E.N.; Inyang, J.D. Characterization of Brewery Effluent Fluid. J. Eng. Appl. Sci. 2012, 4, 67–77.
8. Simate, G.; Cluett, J.; Iyuke, S.; Musapatika, E.; Ndlovu, S. et al. The treatment of brewery wastewater for reuse: State of the art. Desalination 2011, 273, 235–247.
9. Enitan, A.M.; Adeyemo, J.; Kumari, S.; Swalaha, F.; Bux, F. Characterization of Brewery Wastewater Composition. Int. J. Environ. Chem. Ecol. Geo. Geophys. Eng. 2015, 9(9), 1036–1038.
10. Bodike, R.; Thatikonda, S. Biotreatment of Brewery Effluent Using Pseudomonas Species. IOSR J. Environ. Sci. Toxicol. Food Technol. 2014, 8(6), 08–12.
11. Phuoc, N.V. Textbook of domestic and industrial wastewater treatment by biological methods, Construction Publishing House, Hanoi, 2010.
12. Al– Rajhia, S.; Raut, N.; Al–Qasmi, F.; Qasmi, M.; Al Saadi, A. Treatment of Industrials Wastewater by Using Microalgae. Paper presented in 2012 International Conference on Environmental, Biomedical and Biotechnology, IACSIT Press, Singapore 2012, 41, 217– 221.
13. World Bank. Industrial Pollution Prevention and Abatement: Breweries. Draft Technical Background Document. Environment Department, Washington, D.C., USA, 1997, pp. 272–274.
14. Kothiyal, M.; Semwal, G.N. Performance Evaluation of Brewery Biological Wastewater Treatment Plant. MOJ Ecol. Environ. Sci. 2018, 3(1), 1–4.
15. Brewers Association. Water and Wastewater: Treatment/Volume Reduction Manual, 2011. Available online: BrewersAssociation.org.
16. Parawira, W.; Kudita, I.; Nyandoroh, M.G.; Zvauya, R. A study of industrial anaerobic treatment of opaque beer brewery wastewater in a tropical climate using a full–scale UASB reactor seeded with activated sludge. Process Biochem. 2005, 40, 593–599.
17. Bodike, R.; Thatikonda, S.R. Biotreatment of Brewary Effluent Using Pseudomonas Species. IOSR J. Environ. Sci. Toxicol. Food Technol. 2014, 8(6), 08–12.
18. Amenorfenyo, D.K. et al. Microalgae Brewery Wastewater Treatment: Potentials, Benefits and the Challenges. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16(11), 1910.
19. Obasi, A.; Agwu, O. Bioremoval of Heavy Metals from a Nigerian Brewery Wastewater by Bacterial Application. Food Appl. Biosci. J. 2017, 5(3), 165–175.
20. Lutzu, G.A.; Zhang, W.; Liu, T. Feasibility of using brewery wastewater for biodiesel production and nutrient removal by Scenedesmus dimorphus. Environ. Technol. 2016, 37, 1568–1581.
21. Gebeyehu, A.; Shebeshe, N.; Kloos, H.; Belay, S. Suitability of nutrients removal from brewery wastewater using a hydroponic technology with Typha latifolia. BMC Biotechnol. 2018, 74(2018).
22. Masi, F.; Rizzo, A.; Bresciani, R. Treatment of Wineries and Breweries Effluents using Constructed Wetlands. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, In book: Constructed Wetlands for Industrial Wastewater Treatment 2018, pp. 95–104.
23. Angassa, K.; Assefa, B. Constructed Wetland for the Treatment of Brewery Wastewater Performance evaluation, Lambert Academic Publishing, 2012.
24. El Hamouri, B. et al. A Hybrid Wetland for Small Community Wastewater Treatment in Morocco. Sustainable Sanitation Practice, 2012, pp. 39.
25. Kha, B.T. 2014, The efficiency of domestic wastewater treatment of the tectonic wetland system with clams. Sci. Technol. Magazine 2014, 14.
26. Le, N.A.; Trinh, L.T.M. Application of an artificial wetland model with vetiver and reed grass to treat leachate. Sci. Technol. Dev. Magazine Nat. Sci. J. 2018, 2 (5).
27. Pérez, A.G. et al. Sunflowers (Helianthus annuus L.) on Top of a Constructed Wetland as an Engineered Ecosystem to Clean Sewage Onsite. Open J. Water Pollut. Treat. 2014, 2374–6351.
28. Kieu, L.D.; Paul, H.T.; Loc, N.X.; Nguyen, P.Q.; Cong, N.V.; Trang, N.T.D. The ability to treat wastewater from ponds of intensive culture of catfish (pangasianodon hypophthamus) by hymenachne acutigluma in an aerated tectonic wetland system. J. Agric. Rural Dev. 2017.
29. Cuong, N.X.; Loan, N.T. The domestic wastewater treatment efficiency of the integrated artificial wetland system. Scientific Journal of Vietnam National University, Hanoi, 2015.
30. Saeed, T.; Sun, G. A lab–scale study of constructed wetlands with sugarcane bagasse and sand media for the treatment of textile wastewater. Bioresour. Technol. 2013, 128, 438–447.
31. Tu, N.T.; Lang, T.T. Study on treatment of brewery wastewater by horizontal flow constructed wetlands. Natural Resources and Environment Journal, 2022.