1Center of Hydro-meteorological Technology Application, Vietnam Meteorological and Hydrological Administration, Hanoi, Vietnam
2Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, Vietnam Meteorological and Hydrological Administration, Hanoi, Vietnam
Based on the data from hydro-meteorological stations, combined with the soil-specific data of Gia Lai province, the study selected the Palmer index to describe the drought. It was suitable with growing season to develop a monthly agricultural rezoning map for Gia Lai province. The study also showed that the number of days over years and the total number of days in the growing season tended to increase from the northern districts to the southern districts of the province and decreased from the eastern districts to the western districts. According to the time distribution from November to April, drought in Gia Lai province tended to increase from November to January, February and gradually decreases to April. According to spatial distribution, drought might decrease from west to east and from north to south. Through this study, it was shown that the areas suffered from agricultural drought were mostly the northwestern districts of the province in January.
Cite this paper
Le Thi Thanh Nga, Ngo Tien Giang, Bach Quang-Dung (2019), Investigation of Selecting Drought Index for Agricultural Drought Rezoning in Gia Lai Province. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, 2-1, 29-36.
1. Abhishek, A.P., Dodamani, B.M., 2018. Assessment of agricultural drought by remote sensing technique. Proc. SPIE 10783, Remote Sensing for Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Hydrology XX, 1078316, doi:10.1117/12.2325494.
2. Allen, R.G., Pereira, L.S. Raes, D., 1998. Crop evapotranspiration - Guidelines for computing crop water requirements - FAO Irrigation and drainage paper 56. FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
3. Anderson, M.C., Zolin, C.A., Sentelhas, P.C., 2016. The Evaporative Stress Index as an indicator of agricultural drought in Brazil: An assessment based on crop yield impacts. Remote Sensing of Environment, 174: 82-99.
4. FAO (2013), Drought Facts, FAO Land and Water. http://www.fao.org/3/aq191e/aq191e.pdf.
5. Kamruzzaman, M., Hwang, S., Cho, J., Jang, M.W., Jeong, H., 2019. Evaluating the Spatiotemporal Characteristics of Agricultural Drought in Bangladesh Using Effective Drought Index. Water, 11: 1-21.
6. Kim, D.J., Moon, K., Yun, J.I., 2014. Drought Index Development for Agricultural Drought Monitoring in a Catchment. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 16 (4): 359-367.
7. Labedzki, L., Bak, B., 2014. Meteorological and agricultural drought indices used in drought monitoring in Poland: a review. Meteorology Hydrology and Water Management, 2 (2): 3-14.
8. Labedzki, L., Kanecka-Geszke, E., 2009. Standardized evapotranspiration as an agricultural drought index. Irrig. and Drain., 58: 607- 616.
9. Ma’rufah, U., Hidayat, R., Prasasti, I., 2017. Analysis of relationship between meteorological and agricultural drought using standardized precipitation index and vegetation health index. Earth and Environmental Science 54, conference 1.
10. Palmer, W.C., 1965. Meteorological Drought. Research papek No. 45, Washington, D.C.
11. Potopová, V., Boroneant, C., Boincean, B., 2015. Impact of agricultural drought on main crop yields in the Republic of Moldova. International Journal of Climatology, Published online in Wiley Online Library, DOI: 10.1002/joc.4481
12. Sabău, N.C., Man, T.E., Armaş A., 2015. Characterization of agricultural droughts using Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI) and Bhalme-Mooley Drought Index (BDMI). Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 14 (6): 1441-1454.
13. Sun, L., Mitchell, S.W. and Davidson, A., 2012. Multiple drought indices for agricultural drought risk assessment on the Canadian prairies. International Journal of Climatology, 32 (11): 1628-1639.
14. Thuc, T., 2008. Developing drought maps and the lack of domestic water in the South Central and Highland. IMHEN (MONRE).
15. Wilhite, D.A., 2000. Chapter 1 Drought as a Natural Hazard: Concepts and Definitions. Drought Mitigation Center Faculty Publications, 69.
16. Wilhite, D.A., Glantz. M.H., 1985. Understanding the Drought Phenomenon: The Role of Definitions. Water International, 10 (3): 111- 120.
17. Vicente-Serrano, S.M., Schrier,G.V., Beguería, S., 2015. Contribution of precipitation and reference evapotranspiration to drought indices under different climates. Journal of Hydrology, 526: 42-54.
18. Zhao, H., Xu, Z., Zhao, J., 2017. Development and application of agricultural drought index based on CWSI and drought event rarity. Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering, 33 (9): 116-125.