2Power Engineering Consulting Joint Stock Company
Hoa Bang street is known as one of flooding hot spots in Hanoi with 30 inundated times during last 4 years. In 2019, a new conduit has been set up to drain the water from Hoa Bang street to To Lich River. However, the flooding situation has not been significant improved. Therefore, it is necessary to evaluate the capacity of the drainage systems as well as effectiveness of flooding mitigation measures. In this research, the numerical model MIKE URBAN is used to simulate the rainfall-runoff, routing and surcharge processes in Yen Hoa - Hoa Bang areas. Water depth and flood durations are indicators to assess the performance of the proposed solutions. The result of this research indicates that the renovation of the drainage system, i.e. enlargement in conduits’ diameter, can reduce inundation time significantly.
Cite this paper
Tran Kim Chau, Tran Thi Quynh, Nguyen Van Minh, Nguyen Thanh Thuy (2019), Assessment of urban flooding in Yen Hoa - Hoa Bang area, Cau Giay, Hanoi. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, 3, 56-61.
1. Deltares Delft Hydraulics 2019. SOBEK Hydrodynamics, Rainfall Runoff and Real Time Control User Manual, The Netherlands.
2. Denmark Hydraulic Institute 2014a. MIKE URBAN Collection System.
3. Denmark Hydraulic Institute 2014b. MIKE URBAN User Guide, Denmark.
4. Denmark Hydraulic Institute 2014c. MIKE FLOOD Modelling of urban flood, Denmark.
5. Fareed, M., Shiroma, M., Stephanie, A., Luis, N., Daniel, K., Esther, C., 2013. HydroPlanner: A Prototype Modelling Tool to Aid Development of Integrated Urban Water Management Strategies, Australia.
6. Innovyze, 2019. InfoWorks ICM User Manual, United Kingdom.
7. Leandro, J., Chen, A.S., Djordjević, S., Savić, D.A., 2009. Comparison of 1D/1D and 1D/2D Coupled (Sewer/Surface) Hydraulic Models for Urban Flood Simulation. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 135 (6): 495-504. Doi:10.1061/(asce)hy.1943-7900.0000037.
8. Fletcher, T.D., Andrieu, H., Hamel, P., 2013. Understanding, management and modelling of urban hydrology and its consequences for receiving waters: A state of the art. Advances in Water Resources, 51: 261-279.
9. Nguyen, Q.B., Tran, L.P., Nguyen, T.H., 2016. Applying MIKE URBAN Model to Evaluate Stormwater Drainage System. A Case Study in Cam Le District, Da Nang City, ATCESD 2016.
10. Rossman, L.A., 2010. Storm water management model user’s manual. USEPA Software.
11. Prime Minister 2013. Decision No. 725/QD-TTg of May 10, 2013, approving the master plan on Hanoi capital’s drainage through 2030 with a vision toward 2050.
12. Pham, M.C., Tran, N.A., Dang, D.K., Dang, D.D., Nguyen, M.K., Pham, Q.H., 2015. Inundation Solution for Hanoi Inner City by Studying of Unbalanced Nodes, Technical Solutions for Local Flooding Cases. VNU Journal of Science Natural Sciences and Technology, 31 (3S): 44-55.
13. VIWASE 2008. TCVN 7975:2008. Drainage and sewerage - External Networks and Facilities - Design Standard.