1 HUTECH University; email@example.com
2 Department of Natural Resources and Environment Binh Thuan Province; firstname.lastname@example.org
3 Hochiminh City University of Nature Resources and Environment; email@example.com
4 Tay Nguyen University, Buon Ma Thuot – Dak Lak; firstname.lastname@example.org
*Correspondence: email@example.com; Tel.: +84–975397953
The study was conducted to evaluate 5 main river basins: Long Song River, Luy River, Cai Phan Thiet River, Ca Ty River and Phan River in Binh Thuan province has a great impact on the province’s socio–economic development. By method of survey, sampling and analysis of physico–chemical parameters and WQI method with hydrological regimes, typical minimum flow, the research has carried out the following contents: (1) An overview analysis of the water quality situation in the study area in the years 2018–2020; (2) Calculating the WQI index to determine the overall status of the water environment of 5 river basins; (3) Determine the environmental flow that needs to be maintained in the river to ensure the daily activities and production of people in the area. The research results have determined the current status of the water environment in rivers and canals and assessed the responsiveness of water sources to socio–economic activities in the locality. From there, propose solutions to effectively use surface water in river basins of Binh Thuan province in the direction of sustainable development.
Cite this paper
Phu, H.; Do, N.T.; Han, H.T.N.; Ha, T.T.M. Assessing surface water quality of main rivers in Binh Thuan province by WQI index and proposing solutions to protect water resources. VN. J. Hydrometeorol. 2022, 13, 118-133.
1. Hydrometeorological Station of the South-Central Region. Hydro–climate characteristics of Binh Thuan province, 2021.
2. Cat, L.V.; Nhung, D.T.H.; Cat, N.N. Quality aquaculture water and quality improvement solutions. Science and Technology Publishing House, Hanoi, 2006, pp. 424.
3. Boyd, C.E. Water quality for pond Aquaculture. Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures. Auburn University, Alabama 36849 USA, 1998, pp. 37.
4. Wu, Z.; Zhang, D.; Cai, Y.; Wang, X.; Zhang, L.; Chen, Y. Water quality assessment based on the water quality index method in Lake Poyang: The largest freshwater lake in China. Sci. Rep. 2017, 7, 17999.
5. Phu, H.; Manh, T.X.; Huong, N.H. Research project on simulation of flood flow in Ve river basin, 2013.
6. Jena, V.; Dixit, S.; Gupta, S. Assessment of water quality index of industrial area surface water samples. Int. J. Chem Tech Res. 2013, 5(1), 278–283.
7. Toma, J.J. Water Quality Index for Assessment of Water Quality of Duhok Lake, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. J. Adv. Lab. Res. Biol. 2012, 3(3), 19–24.
8. Son, C.T.; et al. Assessment of water quality in some rivers in Gia Lam district using WQI water quality index. J. Sci. Technol. Univ. Nat. Resour. 2019, 200(07), 113–140.
9. Luu, P.T. Using water quality index (WQI) and biological index of algae (BDI) to assess water quality of Saigon River. Sci. J. Pedagogy Univ. 2020, 17(9), 1558–1596.
10. Phu, H. Research on building data sets for the application of mathematical models to simulate water quality changes in La Nga river in Binh Thuan. J. Hydrometeorol. 2013, pp. 26–32. (in Vietnamese)
11. Southern Institute of Irrigation Science. Irrigation development planning in Binh Thuan province for the period 2011–2020, 2012.
12. Binh Thuan Statistical Office (2018–2021). Binh Thuan Provincial Statistical Yearbook.
13. Government. Decree No. 80/2014/ND–CP dated 6/8/2014, Decree on drainage and wastewater treatment, 2014.
14. Binh Thuan Water Supply and Sewerage Joint Stock Company. Environmental monitoring report of Binh Thuan Water Supply and Sewerage Joint Stock Company, phase 1, 2015.
15. Hydrometeorological Station of the South Central Region. Hydro–climate characteristics of Binh Thuan province, 2021.
16. Uyen, N.T.T. Research and propose steamed anchovy wastewater treatment technology at My Tan Steamed Anchovy Village, Ninh Hai District, Ninh Thuan Province. Graduation Project from Technical University, 2010.
17. Phu, H. et al. Thesis Research, application and testing of hydro–hydraulic models for flood forecasting and flood warning of La Nga river, Binh Thuan province. Ministry level project, 2014.
18. Phu, H.; Manh, T.X.; Huong, N.H. Research project on simulation of flood flow in Ve river basin, 2013.
19. Binh Thuan Provincial People's Committee. Decision No. 634/QD–UBND dated February 25, 2014 on adjustment and supplementation of industrial cluster development planning in Binh Thuan province to 2020, 2014.
20. IUCN. Flow – the essentials of environmental flows, UK. Edited by: Megan Dyson, Ger Bergkamp and John Scanlon, 2003.
21. http://ncdsnet.anu.edu.au/pdf/jbennett/chmdrr01.pdf (2004).