In this paper, through statistics of tropical cyclones in the East Sea from 1961 to 2017, the research team calculate Tropical Cyclone Power Dissipation (PDI), defined the maximum wind speed and the life time of tropical cyclones, compare with some other indicators that have been used by other authors such as NetTC in the East Sea to see the correlation between indicators and factors related to climate change such as sea surface temperature, Nino 3-4. Since then, the tendency of PDI increase, the correlation coefficient with Nino 3-4 is positive in the East Sea region, but this correlation is small.
Cite this paper
Le Thi Thu Ha, Dang Thanh Mai, Doan Quang Tri (2019), Power Dissipation Index of Tropical Cyclones in the East Sea. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, 02, 45-50.
1. Bell, G.D., Halpert, M.S., Schnell, R.C., Higgins, R.W., Lawrimore, J., Kousky, V.E., Tinker, R., Thiaw, W., Chelliah, M., Artusa, A., 2000. Climate assessment for 1999. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 81: 1328.
2. Camargo, S.J., Sobel, A.H., 2005. Western North Pacific tropical cyclone intensity and ENSO. J. Climate, 18: 2996-3006. https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI3457.1.
3. Doocy, S., Dick, A., Daniels, A., Krisch, T.D., 2013. The Human Impact of Tropical Cyclones: a Historical Review of Events 1980-2009 and Systematic Literature Review. PLoS Curr, 16, 5.
4. Emanuel, K., 2005. Increasing destructiveness of tropical cyclones over the past 30 years. Nature, 436: 686-688.
5. Emanuel, K., 2007. Environmental Factors affecting Tropcal Cyclone Power Dissipation, Journal of Climate, 20: 5497-5509. https://doi.org/10.1175/2007JCLI1571.1.
6. Free, M., Bister, M., Emanuel, K., 2004. Potential Intensity of Tropical Cyclones: Comparison of Results from Radiosonde and Reanalysis Data. Journal of Climate, 17: 1722-1727.
7. Kossin, J.P., Olander, T.L., Knapp, K.R., 2013. Trend analysis with a new global record of tropical cyclone intensity. Journal of Climate, 26: 9960-9976.
8. Nordhaus, W.D., 2010. The Economics of Hurricanes and Implications of Global Warming. Climate Change Economics, 1 (1): 1-20.
9. Phan Van Tan, 2010. Studying the impact of global climate change on extreme climate factors in Vietnam, predictability and responding strategies, grand number: KC08.29/06-10.
10. Wu, L., Chou, C., Chen, C.T., Huang, R., Knutson, T.R., Sirutis, J.J., Garner, S.T., Kerr, C., Lee, C.J., Feng, Y.C., 2014. Simulations of the present and late 21st century western North Pacific tropical cyclone activity using a regional model. Journal of Climate, 27: 3405-3424. doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00830.1.
11. Walsh, K.J.E., McBride, J.L., Klotzbach, P.J., Balachandran, S., Camargo, S.J., Holland, G., Knutson, T.R., Kossin, J.P., Lee, T., Sobel, A., Sugi, M., 2016. WIREs Climate Change, 7: 65-89. doi: 10.1002/wcc.371.