1Meteorology and Hydrological center in south central region;
2Vietnam Academy of Water Resources
3Asian Disaster Preparedness Center
As considered as a hotspot of drought in Vietnam, Ninh Thuan in recent years has to face with 10 years repetition of severe droughts which captured in 1993-1994; 2004-2005 2014-2016 and 2019-2020. Under the pressure of population growth, increasing water demand for economic sectors, and the context of climate change, drought influences and its occurrences are more and more fierce and complex. Therefore, the research and application of advanced technology as Regional Drought and Crop Yield Information System (RDCYIS) developed by Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC) on drought assessment and forecast to the local is considered as a proper selection. In this research, Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI) 1 month and 3 months generated by RDCYIS was used and compared with that of 3 selected in-situ stations in Ninh Thuan province. The results shown that the determination of the historical rainfall at any location by RDCYIS is convenient, overcoming the disadvantage of the lack of rain measuring station in the past. This would help to prepare for and respond to drought situations impacted due to climate change by taking short and long-term risk mitigation measures such as accurate water management in reservoirs and adjusting cropping calendars, and so on. As such, tool performance in improving drought bulletins and management strategies in Ninh Thuan province is detailed in this paper.
Cite this paper
Dang Thanh Binh, Ha Hai Duong, Nguyen Minh Tien, Nguyen Hanh Quyen, Susantha Jayasingh (2020), Application of SERVIR - Mekong’s RDCYIS tool to enhance drought forecast and warning generation in Ninh Thuan province. Vietnam Journal Hydrometeorology, 7, 67-75.
1. Abramowitz, M., Stegun, A., 1965. Handbook of Mathematical Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables. Dover Publications. Inc.
2. Binh, D.T., 2016. Assessing the impact of water shortage on agricultural production in Ninh Thuan. Water and Employment Conference.
3. Edwards, D.C., McKee, T.B., 1997. Characteristics of 20th century drought in the United States at multiple scales. Atmospheric Science, 634, 1-30.
4. Ninh Thuan Hydro-met centre. 2019a. Observed daily waterlevel data by hydrological stations in Ninh Thuan.
5. Ninh Thuan Hydro-met centre. 2019b. Oserved daily rainfall data by stations in Ninh Thuan from 1981 - 2018.
6. Ninh Thuan IMC. 2019. Observed reservoirs’s daily waterlevel data.
7. Sam, L., 2008. Research and assess the situation of drought, water shortage in the dry season, develop warning plans, and drought zoning maps in Ninh Thuan province. Southern Institute of Irrigation Science.
8. Sam, L., Vuong, N.D., 2008. Situation of drought, desertification in Ninh Thuan, causes, and solutions. Provincial project Southern Institute of Irrigation Science.
9. Tan, P.T., Huong, P.T.T., 2002. Modeling and testing drought forecast basing on the results of ENSO-drought relationship research in Vietnam. Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology.