1Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, Vietnam Meteorological and Hydrological Administration, Hanoi, Vietnam
2Department of Environmental Engineering & Biotechnology Mokpo National Maritime University, Mokpo 58628, South Korea
Variations of chlorophyll a in relation with freshwater quality in Korean reservoirs were in- vestigated during the period of 1992-2006. This study compared assessed total nitrogen (TN), total phosphorus (TP), total suspended solids (TSS), Secchi depth (SD) and phytoplankton biomass (Chlorophyll a (Chl)) relating to pre-monsoon, monsoon and post-monsoon in South Korea reservoirs. Linear relationships were observed between log-transformed Chl and log- transformed TN, TP, TSS, SD and applied for all study sites to examine relationship of these factors in South Korea reservoirs. The results demonstrated that phytoplankton biomass responded to nitrogen and phosphorus enrichment and was also differently and remarkably related to TSS, SD in Korean reservoirs during pre-monsoon, monsoon and post-monsoon.
Cite this paper
Bach Quang-Dung, Yongsik Shin (2020), Assessment of Relationships between Chlorophyll a and Water Quality in South Korea Reservoirs Relating Summer Monsoon. Vietnam Journal of Hydrometeorology, 4, 77-83.
1. Adamovich, B.V., Medvinsky, A.B., Nikitina, L.V., Radchikova, N.P., Mikheyeva, T.M., Kovalevskaya, R.Z., Zhukova, T.V., 2019. Relations between variations in the lake bacterioplankton abundance and the lake trophic state: Evidence from the 20-year monitoring. Ecological Indicators, 97: 120-129.
2. An, K.G., Park, S.S., 2002. Indirect influ-ence of the summer monsoon on chlorophylltotal phosphorus models in reservoirs: a case study. Ecological Modelling, 152: 191-203.
3. Bach, Q.D., Shin, Y.S., Song, E.S., 2009. Long-term paradigm analyses of chlorophyll a and water quality in reservoir systems. Korean Journal Limnology, 42(4): 432-440.
4. Bharathi, M.D., Sarma, V.V.S.S., 2019. Impact of monsoon-induced discharge on phy-toplankton community structure in the tropical Indian estuaries. Regional Studies in Marine Science, 31:100795.Doi.org/10.1016/j.rsma.2019.100795.
5. Cai, L.L., Zhu, G.W., Zhu, M.Y., Xu, H., Qin, B.Q., 2012. Effects of temperature and nu-trients on phytoplankton biomass during bloom seasons in Taihu Lake. Water Science and Engineering, 5(4): 361-374.
6. Chun, K.C., Chang, R.W., Williams, G.P., Chang, Y.S., Tomasko, D., LaGory, K., Dit- mars, J., Chun, H.D., Lee, B.K., 2001. Water quality issues in the Nakdong river basin in the republic of Korea. Environmental Engineering and Policy, 2: 131-143.
7. Greenberg A.E., Clesceri, L.S., Eaton, A.D., 1992. Standard methods for examination of water & wastewaterVol. 18. Amarican Public Health Association, Washington D.C.
8. Hashim, S.I.N.S., Talib, S.H.A., Abustan, M.S., Tajuddin, S.A.M., 2018. Water quality and trophic status study in Sembrong reservoir during monsoon season. IOP Conference Series Earth and Environmental Science, 140(1): 012079, DOI: 10.1088/17551315/140/1/012079.
9. Jones, J.R., Knowlton, M.F., An, K.G., 1997. Developing a paradigm to study and model the eutrophication process in Korean reservoirs. Korean Journal Limnology, 30: 463-471.
10. Kim, B., Park, J.H., Hwang, G., Jun, M.S., Choi, K., 2001. Eutrophication of reservoirs in South Korea. Limnology, 2(3) : 223¬229.
11. Kim, J.I., Choi, J.W., An, K.G., 2014. Spatial and temporal variations of water quality in an urban Miho Stream and some influences of the tributaries on the water quality. Journal of Environment Science Internatiotnal, 23(3): 433-445.
12. Mamun, M., Kwon, S., Kim, J.E., An, K.G., 2020. Evaluation of algal chlorophyll and nutrient relations and ratios along with trophic status, light regime in 60 Korea reservoirs. Scince of The Total Environment, 140451. Doi.org/10.1016/j.sci- totenv.2020.140451.
13. Li, Y., Nwankwegu, A.S., Huang, Y., Norgbey, E., Paerl, H.W., Achary, K., 2020. Evaluating the phytoplankton, nitrate, and am-monium interactions during summer bloom in tributary of a subtropical reservoir. Journal of Environmental Management, 271, Doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2020.110971.
14. Liu, W., Zhao, E., Kuo, Y.M., Jang, C.S., 2017. Identifying the relationships between trophic states and their driving factors in the Shihmen Reservoir, Taiwan. Limnologica - Ecology and Management of Inland Waters, 64: 38-45.
15. Lu, J., Yang, Z., Zhang, Y., 2018. Algae functional group characteristics in reservoirs and lakes with different trophic levels in northwestern semi-humid and semi-arid regions in China. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 64, 166-173.
16. Xiao, L.J., Wang, T., Hu, R., Han, B.P., Wang, S., Qian, X., Padisák, J., 2011. Succession of phytoplankton functional groups regulated by monsoonal hydrology in a large canyon-shaped reservoir. Water Research, 45(16): 5099-5109.
17. Zou, W., Zhu, G., Cai, Y., Vilmi, A., Xu, H., Zhu, M., Qin, B., 2020. Relationships be¬tween nutrient, chlorophyll a and Secchi depth in lakes of the Chinese Eastern Plains ecoregion: Implications for eutrophication management. Journal of Environmental Management, 260: 109923. doi.org/10.1016/j.jen- vman.2019.109923.