1 Japan Meteorological Business Support Center, Tokyo, 101–0054, Japan; firstname.lastname@example.org
2 Japan International Cooperation Agency, Hanoi, Vietnam; email@example.com
3 Vietnam Disaster Management Authority, Hanoi, Vietnam; firstname.lastname@example.org
4 Japan International Cooperation Agency, Narashino, Japan; email@example.com
5 Japan International Cooperation Agency, Viet Nam Meteorological and Hydrological Administration, Hanoi, Vietnam; firstname.lastname@example.org
6 Aero–Meteorological Observatory, Viet Nam Meteorological and Hydrological Administration, Hanoi, Vietnam; email@example.com
*Correspondence: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel.: +81–355772181
The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) has supported various natural disaster prevention activities in Vietnam in accordance with the “Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015–2030”. From 2007 to 2017, around 90 percent of the total damages in Vietnam were accounted by water–related natural disasters. JICA implemented several grants and technical cooperation programs for reducing water–related disaster risks, and as a part of these activities, the “Project for Strengthening Capacity in Weather Forecasting and Flood Early Warning System” by the Vietnam Meteorological and Hydrological Administration (VNMHA) and JICA started in May 2018 as a 3.5 year project. In the Period 1 (June 2018 to March 2019), Automatic Weather Station (AWS) inspection and maintenance manuals were prepared and through trainings at Phu Lien and Vinh radar sites, practical radar maintenance knowledges were shared. Fifteen Automatic Rain Gauges (ARGs) were newly installed in Phu Lien and Vinh radar areas and radar composition started to cover whole Vietnam. For weather forecasting, temperature guidance for 63 cities by the Kalman Filter was developed, and precipitation products based on satellites were evaluated. Discussion on improvement of short–range precipitation forecasting up to 15 hours ahead also started.
Cite this paper
Tonouchi, M.; Kasuya, Y.; Tanaka, Y.; Akatsu, K.; Akaeda, K.; Thu, N.V. Activities of JICA on disaster prevention and achievement of JICA project in Period 1. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2020, 5, 1-12.
1. Central Steering Committee for Disaster Prevention and Control, Natural Disaster in Vietnam in 2019, 2019.
2. VNDMA, MARD and JICA. Leaflet of Priority Programs for Disaster Risk Reduction in Vietnam, 2018.
3. Japan International Cooperation Agency. Data Collection Survey on Strategy Development of Disaster Risk Reduction and Management in The Socialist Republic of Vietnam, 2018.
4. World Metrological Organization. National Meteorological and Hydrological Services. Available online: https://public.wmo.int/en/our–mandate/how–we–do–it/role–and–operation–of–nmhss
5. Mikami, M.; Ichijo, H.; Matsubara, M.; Nguyen, H.A.; Duc, L.X. A proposal of AWS maintenance and periodic calibration tools and installation of ARGs for Radar QPE calibration. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2020, 5, 13–35.
6. Kimpara, C.; Tonouchi, M; Hoa, B.T.K.; Hung, N.V.; Cuong, N.M.; Akaeda, K. Quantitative precipitation estimation by combining rain gauge and meteorological radar network in Vietnam. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2020, 5, 36–50.
7. Sasaki, K.; Anh, V.T.; Han, N.T.; Trang, T. Development of maximum and minimum temperature guidance with Kalman filter for 63 cities in Vietnam up to 10 days ahead. 2020, VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2020, 5, 51–64.
8. Vicente, G.; Scofield, R.A.; Mensel, W.P. The operational GOES infrared rainfall estimation technique. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. 1998, 79, 1881–1898. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520–0477(1998)079<1883:TOGIRE>2.0.CO;2
9. Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency Earth Observation Research Center: JAXA global rainfall watch. Available online: https://sharaku.eorc.jaxa.jp/GSMaP/index.htm
10. Saito, K.; Hung, M.K.; Hung, N.V.; Vinh, N.Q.; Tien, D.D. Heavy rainfall in central Viet Nam in December 2018 and modification of precipitation nowcasting at VNMHA. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2020, 5, 65–79.
11. Hung, M.K.; Saito, K.; Khiem, M.V.; Tien, D.D.; Hung, N.V. Application of GSMaP Satellite data in precipitation estimation and nowcasting: evaluations for October 2019 to January 2020 period for Vietnam. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2020, 5, 80–94.