1National Center for Hydro–Meteorological Forecasting; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
This paper presents the way of identifying the start date of an active storm season in the western North Pacific (WNP) and East Sea (ES). The start (end) date for an active TC season in a year is identified at 5th (95th) percentile of data. Normal and empirical distributions are used to estimate climatological thresholds for the early and late start of the active TC season. Climatological early (late) start is under (over) the date at 33% (67%) of cumulative probability function. Climatological early start is 24 April (20 May) while climatological late start is 28 May (20 June) for the WNP (ES). In the WNP, the start date of storm season tends to be in early and normal (normal and late) phase in post–La Niña (post–El Niño) years. The relationship is not really clear in ES.
Cite this paper
Huong, N.T.D.; Chinh, T.H. Identifying of the start date of the active tropical cyclone season in the western North Pacific and East Sea. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2020, 5, 95-100.
1. Kim, H.K .; Seo, K.H. Cluster analysis of tropical cyclone tracks over the western North Pacific using a self – organizing map. J. Clim. 2016, 29, 3731–3751, doi.org/10.1175/JCLI–D–15–0380.1.
2. Dasallas, L .; Lee, S. Topographical Analysis of the 2013 Typhoon Haiyan Storm Surge Flooding by Combining the JMA Storm Surge Model and the FLO – 2D Flood Inundation Model. Water 2019, 11, 144.
3. Lagmay, A.M.F .; Agaton, R.P .; Bahala, M.A.C .; Briones, J.B.L.T .; Cabacaba, K.M.C .; Caro, C.V.C .; Mungcal, M.T.F. Devastating storm surges of Typhoon Haiyan. Int. J. Disaster risk reduct. 2015, 11, 1–12.
4. Li, R.C .; Zhou, W. Modulation of western North Pacific tropical cyclone activity by the ISO. Part I: Genesis and intensity. J. Clim. 2013a, 26, 2904–2918.
5. Li, R. C .; Zhou, W. Modulation of western North Pacific tropical cyclone activity by the ISO. Part II: Tracks and landfalls. J. Clim. 2013b, 26, 2919–2930.
6. Kubota, H.; Chan, J.C. Interdecadal variability of tropical cyclone landfall in the Philippines from 1902 to 2005. Geophys. Res. Lett. 2009, 36.
7. Kim, D .; Kim, H.S .; Park, D.S.R .; Park, M. S. Variation of the tropical cyclone season start in the Western North Pacific. J. Clim. 2017, 30, 3297–3302.
8. Zhao, H .; Wu, L .; Wang, C .; Klotzbach, P.J. Consistent late onset of the western North. Pacific tropical cyclone season following major El Niño events. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan 2019, 97, 673–688.
9. Wilks, D.S. Statistical methods in the atmospheric sciences, 3rd ed .; Academic press: Cambridge, Massachusetts, 2011; Volume 100, ISBN: 9780123850225.