1 Water Resources Institute: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
Operation of upstream reservoirs in transboundary river basins strongly influences water resources in Vietnam. However, due to the lack of observation data, it is difficult to have sufficient information on their operation. In that context, remote sensing with a global coverage has a great potential to provide this information. This study estimated the time series of surface water area by processing Landsat images from the Google Earth Engine platform. Then, the area – volume – elevation relationship constructed from DEM was used to derived the water level and volume from the surface water area datasets. The results showed that remote sensing enables to monitor temporal variations of water level and volume of reservoirs. Remote sensing can also detect the wet and dry periods and determine the operation of reservoirs, which supports to improve inflow prediction to Vietnam, and therefore, improve the water resources management in the transboundary rivers.
Cite this paper
Phuong, T.A.; Cuong, T.M.; Hoang, N.V.; Anh, P.N.; Duc, N.A.; Son, D.H. Application of remote sensing techniques for analyzing operation of upstream reservoirs in transboundary river basins of Vietnam. VN J. Hydrometeorol. 2020, 5, 101-111.
1. Vörösmarty, C.J .; Green, P .; Salisbury, J .; & Lammers, R.B. Global water resources: vulnerability from climate change and population growth. Sci. 2000, 289, 284–288.
2. Munia, H .; Guillaume, J.H.A .; Mirumachi, N .; Porkka, M .; Wada, Y .; Kummu, M. Water stress in global transboundary river basins: significance of upstream water use on downstream stress. Environ. Res. Lett. 2016, 11, 1–12.
3. Kham, D.V. Research on remote sensing technology (RS) and geographic information system (GIS) in meteorology. Vietnam Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology and Climate Change, 2008.
4. Biancamaria, S .; Hossain, F .; Lettenmaier, D.P. Forecasting transboundary river water elevations from space. Geophys. Res. Lett. 2011, 38, 1–5.
5. Nishat, B .; Rahman, S.M. Water Resources Modeling of the Ganges – Brahmaputra – Meghna River Basins Using Satellite Remote Sensing Data. JAWRA J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc. 2009, 45, 1313–1327.
6. Zhang, S .; Gao, H .; Naz, B.S. Monitoring reservoir storage in South Asia from multisatellite remote sensing. Water Resour. Res. 2014, 50, 8927–8943.
7. Le, H.H .; Tran, A.P .; Pham, N.A .; Cao, H.H .; Thai, Q.N. Application of remote sensing to monitor water level fluctuations in Kanak reservoir in Vietnam. Proceeding of VACCI, 2019, 132.
8. Gorelick, N .; Hancher, M .; Dixon, M .; Ilyushchenko, S .; Thau, D .; Moore, R. Google Earth Engine: Planetary – scale geospatial analysis for everyone. Remote Sens. Environ. 2017, 202, 18–27.
9. Roy, D.P .; Wulder, M.A .; Loveland, T.R .; Woodcock, C.E .; Allen, R.G .; Anderson, M.C .; Helder, D .; Irons, J.R .; Johnson, D.M .; Kennedy, R .; Scambos, T.A. Landsat – 8: Science and product vision for terrestrial global change research. Remote Sens. Environ. 2014, 145, 154–172.